She sped through her examination, promising Matt she'd come back later and talk to him properly. She was hoping Kelly was going to be gone by then. Her only priority was getting out of that room and as far away from Kelly as possible.

"Right, I'll be back this afternoon." She told him. "I'm due in the OR." It was a lie, but she felt like she needed an excuse to get away from there.

"Thank you." Matt and Gabby both said at the same time.

She smiled in return, then turned and made a beeline for the door.

"Amber wait!" Kelly called, jogging after her. Gabby had given him a weird look as he'd bolted out of the room after the doctor but he needed to talk to her. She didn't turn around, although he knew she must have heard him, he ran a little faster and grabbed her shoulder to stop her.

She flinched at his touch as though he'd hit her, wheeling around to face him and yanking herself free from his grip.

"Hey, I'm sorry." He apologised quickly.

She looked at him for a moment, startled like a rabbit in the headlights. "What do you want Kelly?"

"What happened to your face?" He asked.

"It's nothing." She muttered, bringing her hand up to her face. The movement caused the sleeve on her lab coat to fall down her arm, revealing the hand print shaped bruises around her wrist.

He took a step closer to her, lowering his voice. "Don't try and tell me that's nothing."

She faltered for a moment. "It's fine, really. Incident with a patient."

"Amber..." He sighed. "You're a terrible liar."

She shifted uncomfortably. "I'm not your problem Kelly." She muttered. "I'm late for my surgery. Can you just leave it, please?" She didn't give him a chance to answer before she disappeared through a staff only door so that he couldn't follow her.

Kelly stood there for a moment, trying to decide what to do now before he had an idea. He pulled out his phone and dialled the number quickly. "Hey, Lindsay. It's Severide, I need a favour..."

LINE BREAK

She was relieved when she went back to check on Matt that afternoon and found him alone. Avoiding Kelly had become her number one priority. He wasn't stupid enough to believe her lies, she could see it on his face, and it was bound to lead to trouble. She wasn't about to let Kelly get dragged into her mess and end up getting hurt too.

Jack had phoned her forty three times during the course of the day. She'd ignored every single one. She was certain she was going to regret this when she got home and he got his hands on her, but she'd deal with that later.

She didn't really know what she was supposed to do now. Chicago was supposed to be a fresh start, her chance to get away from him, she'd never thought once in a million years that he'd actually track her down and follow her to the other end of the country. What did she do now? Try again and move somewhere else in the hope it might be more successful this time? Did she go back to Florida with him and back to the life she'd spent months trying to find a way to escape from? Or she could stay here in the hope that maybe he'd get bored and go back to Florida? None of them were good options.

She wandered back up to her office, already trying to mentally prepare herself to go home and face him. If she trusted that he wouldn't turn up at the hospital looking for her and cause a scene she'd be tempted to sleep in her office. She'd had previous experience of him turning up at her old hospital and causing a scene and she wasn't in a hurry to repeat that.