20 Shadows Bleeding Through the Light

Start from the beginning

Lucas walked over and smacked him on the back. "Well done. You know what they say? Jokes are always at their funniest when they need explaining."

"Aren't they just?" he said, refusing to take the bait.

Lucas smirked. "Indeed. Have a cookie."

"Yes! I love cookies!"

Henrik perked up. "Are there cookies?"

Well, he might not be able to compete with Henrik's looks, but he definitely had the larger brain. "No, Thor Junior. No."

Lili looped her arm through Bobby's. "I thought it was funny babe."

"That's because you're an angel and I don't deserve you."

"Well as long as you remember that, I'll keep laughing at your jokes." She kissed his cheek. "Come on!" She sprinted on ahead of him and Priya leaned down to whisper in her ear. Whatever she said made Lili giggle.

Everyone sat but there wasn't enough room. Hope ended up on Noah's lap in order to make space. Instead of sitting with Marisol, Gary parked himself between Lucas and Henrik like an anxious blonde boulder.

Bobby patted the space beside him. "Babe, come sit with me."

Both Lucas and Henrik eyed Lili, and Lucas gestured her over to the narrow spot he'd kept empty. Lili gave him a smile and shook her head, before sitting beside Bobby, scooting in tight so she wouldn't fall off the bench. Relief washed through him and he put his arm around her, pulling her into a cuddle.

Gary started it off, asking the big question. "What's your usual type?"

"Straight to the point with you, eh? Lucas said.

Henrik smiled. "I like a girl that's outgoing, adventurous, doesn't take herself too seriously." Everybody glanced at Lottie who pretended to look like she wasn't chuffed.

"What about you, erm, other guy?" Gary asked. Everyone chuckled.

"Lucas," the guy said, barely cracking a smile. He seemed like a snob. Good. That seemed like something Lili would dislike. Then again, he'd only known her for a handful of days. Was that enough time for him to really know what she wanted? She'd told him that she didn't have a type. But wasn't a wealthy, handsome physio everyone's type?

He thought about what he knew about her. She wasn't outdoorsy. She taught dance classes and worked with children. She loved French toast, could shoot baking puns from the hip, and was endlessly positive. She had a sharp sense of humor and great taste in clothes. She liked cupcakes and freckles.

Ha. Lucas didn't have freckles. Score one for team Scotsman.

"But yeah, my type? I guess I'm used to girls who have a more decent taste but who also don't take themselves too seriously. I like optimism and a lot of energy. And someone who knows what they want from life. Education, and being able to hold her own with me conversationally is important."

Bobby looked at Lili. She turned his way and whispered. "It sounds like he's going to like Hope!"

Lucas's eyes roamed over Lili as her head was turned.

Yeah no. Not Hope.

"Good sense of humor is a big one. Someone who can make me laugh. And who knows how to dress-to-impress. I like blondes usually, can't lie," Lucas continued.

Blondes. Yes. Lili wasn't a blonde. She was very much not that.

"But I don't stick to some rigid format."