Chapter 20: We Have To Tell Her

Start from the beginning

"Just after four."

My eyes widen. "Four? As in, four in the morning, four?"

"I wasn't aware it was this dark at four in the afternoon," he says with an amused look on his face and in his eyes.

I roll my eyes. "Smartass."

Aaron makes a sound of disappointment. "You were doing so well, Cassie. You're lucky you're not feeling well."

I catch on to his meaning pretty quickly, and I curse out loud once I realize this is going to be counted against me.

"You're an ass," I groan.

He laughs and moves towards my balcony doors.

"Wait, where are you going?" I ask him, sitting up in bed so quickly I almost throw up again.

He shoots me a weird look. "Home?"

"Why?" I whine. I've done a lot of whining since he got here. Maybe I am needy. "You have to take care of me."

His weird look transforms back into one of amusement and a smile forms on his face. "You are needy, aren't you?"

I groan, picking a pillow up from my bed and shoving it into my face as I collapse back against my bed again. "Nevermind, just go."

"I didn't quite catch that, Cassie. You're gonna have to speak more clearly."

I groan again, the sound muffled by the pillow.

I feel him jump on my bed, causing it to bounce up and down, and the pillow is ripped away from my face, and I look at Aaron as he speaks.

"Well," he sighs. "If my Cassie wants me to take care of her, then I guess I have to." He gives another dramatic sigh and falls back against my bed, closing his eyes as he swallows.

I'm still caught up on the first part of his sentence so my brain hasn't processed the second part.

My Cassie?

Since when was I his? I was not made aware of this.

I admit some part of me leaps out of happiness at hearing that, but another part of me takes a step back, retreating into myself.

He can't like me.

And I can't like him.

And suddenly, I sit up, moving to the edge of my bed. "You know what, I changed my mind, you can go. I'll be fine."

I stand up and start towards my bathroom as Aaron gets up.

"You sure, Cassie?" he says. "I don't mind staying."

"It's okay," I tell him, avoiding his eyes. "You can go."

I know––even without looking at him––that he's hesitating, not wanting to leave.

But he needs to.

"Okay. Just...call me if you need anything."

I nod, acknowledging his words, and I listen as he opens my balcony door and leaves.

I let out a sigh as I hear my doors close, and turn around to face my closed curtains.

I rush over to them and pull them aside, hoping to catch a glimpse of how Aaron gets from my balcony to his, only to see him smirking at me from where he stands by his balcony doors.

I mouth a curse, and I see him laugh before he shoots me a wave and goes inside his room, closing his own doors behind him.

I'm going to find out how in the exact fuck he does that, even it kills me.