Chapter 21 Back Pain.

Aydan called my father. Apparently he and my father had some form of understanding that extended to not questioning Aydan's judgement about the surgery. I was still locked in the cellar for the rest of the weekend but since it was now Monday I was permitted to go to school.  

I did my best not to walk as stiffly as I felt. My entire body ached from being crammed into the small cellar for so many nights in a row but it was my back that was the real star of the show. It throbbed and spasmed each time my foot came down too hard on the gravel driveway. By the time I made it to Cameron's car I was ready to give up on the day and turn around. The only thing that kept me going was that I knew staying home wasn't a real option. I'd be put back in the cellar and I didn't want to face the darkness again so soon. I sank into the backseat of the car, pulled the door shut, and plopped over very carefully onto my side.

"Uhhh dulzura..." Tao said turning around in his seat to face me. "Are you sure you should be going to school today? It looks more like we should be headed to the doctors."

"No..." I whined but didn't move. I didn't want to go to the doctors or to school. I just wanted to go to bed.

Tao and Cameron exchanged a worried glance.

"Are you saying no to the doctors or no to school?" Cam asked.

I sighed and forced myself to sit up. Being a baby about my pain was no way to show them that I was alright or that I could pull my own weight on the team.

"No doctors. I'm fine." I said.

"You don't look fine cariña. You look exhausted and hurt." Tao said.

"I am." I agreed. "I'm tired and sore and I just want to sleep but I don't need a doctor and I can't miss anymore class."

Cameron and Tao exchanged another glance. Cameron gave a slight nod and Tao looked back at me.

"Ok, lay back down dulzura." Tao said. He shifted around and pulled his jacket off. The prospect of warm sleep kept me from trying to argue. I sank back down across the seats and Tao draped his warm leather jacket over me. I closed my eyes and let the warmth lull me to sleep. A quick nap before class sounded like a perfect solution.

I drifted back from my light sleep when Cameron shut the car off. Even with my mind being groggy I could tell that we were not at school. We were at Aydan's. I sat up as fast as my stiff body would allow and glanced around before glaring at the two in the front seat.

"What's going on?" I demanded.

"A compromise." Tao shrugged. He and Cameron both climbed out of the car and I was forced to follow in order to get answers.

"What compromise?" I asked.

"Aydan's compromise." Cam said. "Since you are not feeling well but you don't want to go to the doctor we have to check in with Theo."

"I don't wanna check in with Theo." I whined.

Tao snickered as he held the door open for me. I glared at the stairs and then at Tao. His amused smirk didn't waiver and my glare dropped down into a defeated pout.

"Do you want me to carry you?" Tao asked.

"No."

I didn't want to be carried up the steps like a child. I didn't even want to be here. I stomped up the first few steps which was a giant mistake. The jarring movements sent my back into a crippling wave of spasms. I sank down on the steps as carefully as I could. I didn't want to fall down the stairs. The last thing I needed was another ridiculous injury.