Chapter Thirty-nine

CHAPTER THIRTYNINE

The phone had been ringing non-stop as Lita took a seat opposite the Grand Poobah.

"You probably want to get that, Baba Doobah said to Bebe Thebozo, "it is someone you will want to speak to."

"Yes, hello Chairman Wannabuyatutu, this is Ambassador Thebozo. Yes, it's true, we are occupied by revolutionary students. Yes, the Grand Poobah is with me now. In fact, he's indicating he wants to speak with you." Thebozo handed the phone to the Grand Poobah.

"Heyman Wannabuyatutu, how does this day find you? Well, I hope. Your Beekeepers? They are fine, safe, and secure. The embassy? I am afraid it is no longer an embassy. You see, we have occupied this building which lies on our soil, or ah, sand. It is now the private residence and offices of Aswad the Black. No? Well, perhaps you should read our magnificent history. Aswad the Black has returned to guide our country forward. Oh, you have been speaking with President Crist? Troops you say? I am afraid that would be a grave mistake Chairman Wannabuyatutu. Forty-eight hours? Well, I will be sure to tell Aswad. I really do not think he will be swayed by your threats, but I will tell him, nonetheless. I really do not think the North-east Atlantic Treaty Organization should be meddling in our affairs. Yes, I know that Bahrcoad is a member of N.E.A.T.O. Tell President Crist that Aswad will be in touch with him shortly. Yes, I have it; forty-eight hours. Yes, the embassy personnel are safe, except for the Marine guards. I am afraid they did not make it. Yes, that is unfortunate. Crist can work that out with Aswad. Yes, I will be sure to let Aswad know that the great Chairman of the Unified Nations, Heyman Wannabuyatutu has given him forty-eight hours to vacate the embassy and return Colonel Da-Kaffee to power. Good-bye sir."

"You handled that admirably Grand Poobah."

Baba Doobah turned around, startled to see Aswad the Black standing before him. Lita gave a squeal, frightened by Aswad's sudden appearance.

"Aswad, I have important news to relay to you"

"Yes, you've been speaking with Heyman Wannabuyatutu. He's given us forty-eight hours. Grand Poobah, I trust you have a good rapport with our military?"

"Why yes, I believe so."

"Good, because you are now the leader of all our military forces."

"As you wish Aswad," he said, bowing slightly.

"You are to mobilize all units. Secure our borders Grand Poobah. Get our anti-aircraft units in place and operating in twenty-four hours."

"But Aswad, we have no anti-aircraft capability."

"Oh, but we do, Grand Poobah. We have a flight of Maoland cargo planes arriving shortly with anti-aircraft batteries, including A-A missiles. We also have our first order of fighters, bombers, and tanks arriving from the Union of Soviet Socialites Republic. It seems the Socialites and Maoites dislike Bahrcoad as much as we do."

"But, what about pilots and crews for the planes, tanks, and batteries? The Grand Poobah asked.

"The Socialites have supplied us with crews until their advisors can train our men. Grand Poobah, we have gone from a third-world sandbox, to the fourth largest military on the planet."

"But Aswad, Bahrcoad is much, much stronger than we are."

"You forget our allies. Mohammed 'Ponch' Ali, Guitars ambassador has promised all his forces. General Gom-Jabbar is also one hundred percent committed. So, you see, Baba Doobah, we have an unbeatable force already in the region. You are to coordinate with Gom-Jabbar and 'Ponch'. Protect our borders and skies Grand Poobah. You have your orders. Now, I must speak with the anotherworlder. Lita, isn't it?" He led Lita into another room.