Preface: Show Me That Voodoo You Do So Well

It's funny, when ever you ask a child what they would like to be when they grow up they give you the funniest answers. Like a firefighter, a princess, or even a lawyer super hero.

When I was asked the question, I remember I had looked at my chubby little legs and then looked my Aunt Agatha in the eye and said, I don't want to grow up because when I do, I'll be someone you won't love anymore.

Fast forward to eve of my seventeenth birthday. I was in the bathroom taking buttermilk bath. Which was custom for Devereux girls on the eve of their birthday. I close my eyes and let the milky water swallow me whole. I hold my breathe and feel the slight burn in my lungs. This was something I would do even as a small child. Which made my family concerned because I had a fascination with death. When the burn becomes unbearable I break surface and take in a deep breath. I hear a hiss as I wipe the water from my eyes. I turn and see my black python in the window sill. I sigh because I know why she's in here. To complain about her brother.

"Matilda I know you're not happy with Maverick but you two need to deal with your differences. It is his living space too, you know."

"Hiss!" I rub my temples as she complains about how much her brother is a slob. "Okay! I'll talk to him. But if he hisses about you shedding near his food again he is going to have a field day." Her eyes roll. "Hiss, hiss." It was my turn to roll my eyes. "Do you think it'll hurt? My blood signing I mean?" I question as I lift my hand and look at the many tattoos that scarred my brown skin. "Hiss!" I gasp. "Matilda, that is rude!" I say with a slight laugh.

"Madesa?" I hear my Aunt call. "Yes?" She opens the door and leaves a towel for me. "Are you ready for tomorrow night?" She asks. "Yeah..." She steps into the bathroom and kneels beside the tub. "What's wrong little one? I thought you'd be happy about your blood signing."

"I am, but...I do have questions." I say as I look at my now pruny fingers. "Well, you can ask me anything, you know that." I nod and turn to her. "Will they be there?" I didn't even have to say my parents names, because we both knew whom I was speaking of. Aunt Agatha pursed her lips. "You know they are banned from coming near this place, let alone near you Madesa." I resist the urge to give a sly comment. "But it's been so long, and I'm sure the elders must have thought about forgiving them-"

"They practiced dark voodoo on their child. A unnatural spell that they both knew was not just risky but is shunned by our people, to curse their child's skin in such a way. They are lucky they didn't burn for that." I draw my knees to my chest. "I understand." I mutter. She gets up and kisses my head. "I know you miss them, I miss them too but the rules are rules." She leaves me in peace but I decide to cut my bath a little short. "Hiss..." Matilda slithers near the drain and let's the water out. "Matilda be nice. Besides if anyone can talk to the elders I'm sure it could be Angelic." Matilda gives me a look. "Okay, maybe not. Angelic hates my parents."

Angelic was my great Aunt. And for reasons unknown, she's a tad obsessed with me. From my earliest memories, I have known that she had always been around me. At one point she had suggested to the elders that she should become my guardian after my parents were banished. But my guardian became Aunt Agatha.

I clear my thoughts and dry myself. Once I'm all properly dressed. I go to my room that I share with my cousin, Teresa. She was up writing in her little black book.

"Hey, Madesa what do you think of Toben?" I make a face. "Toben? You mean the same Toben that collects dryer lint and smells like mothballs?"