Ghost boy part 11

Part 11

I walked inside. Adam took off to raid the kitchen. My dad was sitting on the couch. It was about two in the afternoon. He looked at me.

"I got a call from your school today saying that you were absent." he said. I frowned. School?

Oh shit. Was it Monday? I looked at my dad sheepishly.

"Oh, um, uh, I'm sorry I, uh, woke up late and you see, I, er, didn't realize what day it was and... And..."

"It's cool, it's cool, I get it. But tomorrow you better be there on time, you got that?" he grunted. I nodded.

"Yeah, yeah, of course!" I said, hurrying back to my room. I hadn't studied or done anything at all related to school. This weekend had been hectic enough. I sat down on my bed and stared off into space.

What was I doing?

In the past three days my world had been turned upside down. I met an invisible boy. I got messed around with by my boyfriend. I went to a party drunk and ended up in bed with a stranger.

And after everything, I was still concerned about schoolwork. I don't know, maybe it was the need for something NORMAL. Something that I was used to. Like talking on the phone or watching TV. Not going on a hunt to find Adams past. Not going to a party and sleeping around. I didn't do those kind of things. That wasn't who I was. Right?

I couldn't focus on my math. All I could think about was James. Why hadn't I told anyone about him yet? Maybe I should call Maggie. I scrolled through my phone for her number, but stopped. I didn't want to talk to Maggie. I had nothing to say to her. I didn't want to get her in the middle of this. She probably already thought that I was crazy anyway.

Maybe i was. Maybe Adam was just a figment of my imagination. Maybe he was some sick fantasy my mind had come up with to satisfy my loneliness. But that wasn't true, and I knew it. I was just dreading the question that I knew would come soon enough...

Was Adam... Really... Dead? A poltergeist maybe? Some lost entity forever to roam the earth? Was he... A ghost? Did he really fall off of that balcony at a halloween party? Or was he pushed?

Nothing made sense. I kept scrolling through my contacts, over and over, feeling as though I were about to have an anxiety attack. I needed to tell someone. I stopped scrolling through my phone. Right on James' number.

Well, he did owe me something.

The phone only rang twice.

"Hello?" he said, voice deep. I closed my eyes. What was I doing?

"James?" I asked. He seemed to hold his breath.

"Eve? I didn't expect you to-" he seemed confused.

"I'm just... I need to talk to someone and I didn't know who else to call."

"I-- thats okay, I can talk for a little before my night class."

"Well... It's going to sound a bit... Well, it's going to sound completely insane." I said. He chuckled, urging me to go on. Deep breath.

"Okay, so this Friday I met someone. He's really nice and sweet. He's gone to my school all year long. I never really talked to him before. So I decided to talk to him." I paused. "he seemed surprised when I did, because apparently no one else can see him. It's as if he's a ghost." I waited for his reaction.

"are you serious?" it wasn't disbelief. It was... As if I caught him off guard.

"Yeah. I've never had it happen before. It's only with him. And I can't seem to figure out who he is. Even he can't remember. And I just... I want to figure who he is and why he's like this. I know I'm not crazy because I've witnessed him beat my ex half to death and I've touched him before and stuff. So... I don't know." I bit my lip.

"Eve? I have the same problem."

James' POV

*^*^*^*^*^*^

She knew him.

I knew when I saw her at the party that she seemed familiar. I just couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Now I knew for sure. She knew him. She could see him. Just like me.

"You... You can see people too?" she said through the phone. I rubbed my temples.

"it's complicated. I-- I've only seen him a few times before. At the school I used to go to. It's just that... I was scared of it, I guess. So I left. And I never saw him again."

Lies, I thought. James, you're a liar. You left because you knew he could touch you. But he couldn't remember. But still. I was so worried he'd try to kill me.

"But I still saw him. And you can too. Brown eyes, short blonde hair, right?" I said. She was quiet.

"Yeah. Yeah, that's him! This is... Crazy..."

I laughed. "Yeah, it is pretty crazy, but if you wanted I could help you figure out his life!" I offered.

You're such a liar, I thought. But I have such good reasons, I told myself. She knew him. She was helping him. And I couldn't let him figure out.

"Great! Uh... I don't know what to say. I can't believe you know him! thats great! Um, so I guess we can work on this... Later?" she said, so happily. As if she were actually excited for him. I agreed and said goodbye. She hung up.

It was time I saw Simon again.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

^.^ yea, yea, confusing.

But that's the whole point!! :3

Next part by tomorrow. She's supposed to go to school...

We'll see what happens ;) Thanks!!