Chapter Nineteen

I was surprised to wake up alone on the couch, but even more surprised when I heard two voices floating out from the kitchen. I sat up slowly while stretching my arms above my head. I yawned softly as I padded over to the kitchen doorway. Phil Coulson sat at the kitchen table across from Bucky who was wearing a serious expression.
"Guess I'll be making dinner for three tonight," I commented with a smile, drawing both men's attention towards me.
"How long have you been here?" I sat down next to Bucky, and he rubbed my knee softly with his armor hand.
"About half an hour," Phil replied.
"What's going on?" I questioned
"You two are being relocated to New York," Phil stated.
"Why?"
"That's where I am working currently with my agents. We have a secret base where we take HYDRA agents in for questioning. We want you two to work there," he explained.
"I...I can't leave now! I have to stay here with Daisy and her mom," I protested.
"That's what James has been telling me. Daisy's only estimated to live another month, correct?" I nodded in response. "Then we will relocate you after her passing." I felt a pang in my chest as Coulson's words began to sink in. I didn't want to think about her dying. All I could do was nod.
"Alright. Your apartment has been set up. Leave as soon as you can." The three of us sat in silence.
"Would...would you like to stay for dinner?" I finally asked, my voice sounding small.
"Thank you for the offer, but I need to head back to New York." Coulson stood and I escorted him to the door.
He left without another word, and I silently made my way back into the kitchen. I walked into the pantry and got out a box of Pasta Roni. As I began to place the ingredients into the pot, Bucky came up behind me.
"I'm sorry. I tried to get us more time," he whispered as he ran his hands up my arms.
"It's fine. Thanks," I whispered. I moved away from his touch, not meeting his gaze.
I was silent as I made dinner, while we ate dinner, and after as we sat on the couch watching tv. A few hours of silence later, I turned off the tv and began to walk up the stairs. Bucky grabbed my upper arms before I entered my room, and turned me around to look at him.
"Don't shut me out," he whispered as he looked into my eyes.
I suddenly collapsed into his chest, and began to sob. I grasped his tee shirt in my hands so tight, afraid that if I didn't he would disappear. Bucky picked me up into his arms and carried me into my room, and gently laid me on the bed. He tucked me into his chest, hugging me tightly as if to reassure me that he wasn't going anywhere.
"Shhh Rose. Calm down, deep breaths," he tried to soothe me.
My cries turned quiet, and Bucky kissed my forehead.
"Bucky?" I whispered.
"Mhmm?" He hummed in my hair.
"You've got to help me find him. Who did this to Daisy."
"Of course I will," he replied.
"It won't be easy."
"I know." Fatigue quickly took over, and despite all of my efforts to stay awake, my eyelids closed and I drifted into sleep.
***
The aroma of food woke me from my slumber. I lazily waddled down the stairs into the kitchen where Bucky stood over the stove.
"What'cha cooking?" I questioned, wrapping my arms around his waist and pressing my cheek to his bare back.
"Eggs and bacon. You hungry?" I nodded, too tired to talk.
"Go ahead and sit down," he said, turning around to peck my lips.
After sitting down, Bucky brought over a plate of eggs, bacon, and fruits.
"Hey this is going to sound a little strange, but could you give me a haircut?" He asked, sitting down across from me.
"Sure. When would you like me to do it?"
"After breakfast." I nodded, and continued to eat.
"So what do you have planned today?" I questioned, resulting in him to shrug.
"What about you?" He questioned.
"I'm going to visit Daisy. Pamper her today," I told him.
"Okay."
"You ready for your haircut?" I asked, and he nodded.
I guided him into the bathroom where he sat on the toilet lid. I placed a towel around his shoulders and got out the scissors. Every time I brought them up to his face he would flinch.
"Bucky, relax. I'm not going to hurt you," I stated, stroking his cheek.
"I know," he whispered.
"Just close your eyes, and focus on something else," I suggested.
"No. No I need to look at you." He sounded so scared. I went to work again, getting it as short as I could until I brought out the electrical clippers. I cut down the sides of his head like I had before he left for war, but left it a little longer on top.
He began to chuckle making me smile.
"What are you laughing at?"
"Your facial expressions," he replied.
"What about 'em?"
"They're cute." I smiled and leaned in to kiss him.
"Okay turn around," I instructed. He looked at himself in the mirror, and I bit my bottom lip in anticipation.
"Wow. I look like...like my old self," he spoke after a while.
"Is that a good thing?"
"Yeah. Thank you." He turned around to kiss me again. I was glad that he was being so affectionate, but I wondered what changed so quickly.
"Well I gotta get ready to see Daisy which means I need to shower, so out," I said with a joking smile on my lips. He chuckled as he walked out and down the hall. I walked into my bedroom to get my clothes. I placed them on the counter by the sink before stepping into the shower.
A quick ten minutes later, I stepped out and wrapped my towel around my body. I turned around to put on my underwear, but it was nowhere to be seen. Neither were my clothes.
"Buchanan!" I shouted, storming out of the bathroom and down the stairs. I found him lounging on the couch watching tv.
"Hand over my clothes," I growled through gritted teeth.
"You mean these ones?" He questioned teasingly, jumping up from the couch with my clothes in hand.
"James give them back," I whined. I lunged towards him, but he was quick to spin out of the way. I almost fell, but Bucky grabbed my towel and jerked me back. Once I was stable again, I turned around to grasp my clothes. As I turned to walk back upstairs into the bathroom, Bucky yanked the towel free from my body. I yelped, and covered my body with my clothes. He chuckled, handing the towel back when I glared at him.
"Don't worry. I didn't see anything," he stated as I began to walk away, covered up again.
"Liar!" I retorted.
"Hey stay out of my private thoughts."
"I didn't have to. The smirk on your face says it all." I winked then walked up the stairs.
After changing into a cream colored shift dress and brown, distressed leather combat boots, I walked back downstairs to get my green coat.
"Are you sure you don't want to come with me?" I inquired, slipping my coat on and grabbing my car keys off of the entryway table.
"No. I'm sure you and Daisy would probably paint my nails or something," he replied with a slight smile. I chuckled, grabbing my bag and walked towards the couch where he was sitting.
"You're probably right."
"What time will you be home?"
"I don't know. Around four most likely," I responded.
"Okay. You have fun," he stated. I leaned down to kiss his cheek before leaving the house to get into my car.
***
The visit to the hospital was just what I excepted; sad, but very entertaining. I painted her nails, gave her a facial, and let her braid my hair. I would have done hers, but the treatment she was doing made her lose her hair. Even bald, she looked gorgeous. She always would.
Visiting hours soon came to a close, and I stood from her bed to leave.
"Daisy, I want you to have this," I said, revealing a small pearl bracelet from my pocket. "My grandmother gave it to me when I was your age. Now it's yours." Her face immediately lit up as I placed it on her skinny wrist.
"Thank you Rose," she said. I smiled and leaned down to kiss her forehead softly.
"I'll be back tomorrow. I love you," I said before leaving.
When I came home, I found a note on the door that lead into the house from the garage.
Hey Ro,
I'm not home right now, but I left a couple of notes for you. I have a surprise for you tonight. ;) Your next note is on the island.
-B
I smiled at the note, and continued inside to the kitchen. Sitting on the island were light pink azaleas and another note.
Ro,
A clue as to what we're doing tonight. Find your next note upstairs in the bedroom.
-B
I chuckled as I walked, well ran, up the stairs. Once entering the bedroom, I found yet another note sitting atop my pillow. Next to it was a thin, rectangular red box. I opened the note first.
My Beautiful Flower,
Wear these tonight. I will be picking you up at eight o'clock on the dot. Can't wait to see you, beautiful.
-B
I opened the box to reveal a stunning pearl necklace. It brought tears to my eyes thinking about all the sweet gestures that I have received lately. It feels like I have my old Bucky back.
I walked into my closet to find something to wear, and decided on a white lace skater dress. I put on red ankle boots, and started to work on my hair and makeup. Once I finished applying winged eyeliner, red lipstick, and curling my hair I put on a black wide brimmed hat. Checking the time, I realized it was only six thirty. I spent the next hour and a half cleaning up the house, eating left-over pasta, and fixing myself up after doing all that work. Exactly like Bucky said in his note, he was home at eight o'clock sharp.
"Wow! You look stunning," he said as he walked into the house. I smiled as a blush crept across my face.
"Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself," I commented. Bucky was dressed in a white tee shirt, a black leather jacket, and nice blue jeans. No doubt he was at Steve's previously to prepare.
"Are you ready to go ma'am?"
"Yes sir!"
"Then let's get going." He looped his arm through mine, and lead me outside to the awaiting car. Like he gentleman he is, he opened my door.
"Care to tell me where we're headed?" I questioned as he started the car.
"It's a surprise!" He stated with a smile. I chuckled softly and just enjoyed the drive.
We arrive at a huge estate surrounded by thousands of flowers. The Hillwood Gardens. Bucky parked the car, and grasped my hand once we stepped out.
"Buck, this place is gorgeous!" I gasped as we walked through the gardens.
"A beautiful place to take a beautiful girl," he states causing me to laugh.
"Always a charmer."
We spent the next hour marveling at the flowers, sticking them in each other's hair, and goofing off like children. It was growing dark, and small fairy lights illuminated the gardens.
"I had forgotten how happy and fun life could be. You've helped me remember," he said. I smiled and leaned my head against his shoulder as we walked.
"Ro," Bucky whispered, stopping our walk and turning to face me.
"This ring isn't just a gesture to tell you I love you, but it's a promise that one day, hopefully in the near future, I plan to make you my wife," he states, pulling out a simple silver ring with a small heart carved into it. Tears began to pool in my eyes as I held out my hand for him to slip the ring on my finger.
"I love you!" I gushed, throwing my arms around his neck. Our lips met, and I began to feel butterflies in my stomach. I pulled away reluctantly with a smile on my face.
"Let's head home," I said, and he guided me out of the gardens.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Hey guys! Sorry it's been a long time since I've last updated. I have been suffering from severe anxiety and depression. I found it very hard to write and feel motivated to. However, your sweet comments motivated me to get something out there and continue. I might not update as often as I'd like to since my grades are terrible at the moment, and that is stressing me out. Thank you to those who encouraged me, and have supported me. All of you are the reason I'm still writing. You are my muse. I love all of you.
Madie xx