17

CHAPTER 17

BLAKE

We had just finished eating, and putting the dishes in the sink when then doorbell rang. Van rushes to the door and opens it to reveal Wyatt, Brynn, and Monty. Van leads them into the kitchen to join me.

Brynn gives me a hug and takes a seat on one of the barstools, cradling her now protruding belly. Wyatt drops my stuff in front of me and pats me on the back.

"It's good to see you man. How are you feeling?"

"Sore" I state with a chuckle

Wyatt removes his hand and walks over to Brynn, placing a gentle kiss on her head. Monty rifles through the cabinets before grabbing a bag of chips and joining us around the kitchen island. Meanwhile Van had made her way back to the sink and started washing the dishes.

"Have you heard anything else from the doctor? Any updates on when you can come back to school?" Brynn asks

"Uh not really, they prescribed some medicine and pain killers. My dad intercepts all the calls so I don't talk to the doctor."

Monty scoffs and talks through a mouth full of half eaten chips.

"At least you have a sexy as fuck nurse helping you feel better"

Van stills her movements at the sink and I notice her tremble.

"What the fuck did you just say?" I snap at him.

Noticing the tension building in the room, Brynn stands and makes her way over to Van. She wraps her arm around hers and drags her out of the kitchen.

"I said Vanessa is sexy as fuck Blake, I'm not blind. Have you bagged her yet?"

"Monty shut the hell up" Wyatt says.

Monty throws his hands up in a mock surrender and opens his month again.

"Why am I the bad guy for appreciating what I'm given? She's a looker and i'm going to look. Hell, i'm surprised you guys make it out of the bedroom"

"Monty if you say another word, I'm going to rip your vocal cords out" I threaten

He just lets out a chuckle. "She won't let you bang her will she? Blue balls is what got you so moody?"

I stand up a little too quickly and slam my hand on the island with a resounding clap. Wyatt rushes to me and eases me back down into the seat before he turns to Monty.

"You need to leave Monty"

Monty glances between the two of us.

"Are you kidding? Since when did you get so sensitive Blake?"

"Get out now Monty, before I make you" Wyatt threatens.

With a scoff Monty turns on his heel and walks out of the room, a short tense minute later I hear the front door slam shut, and I allow my body to relax slightly.

"That fucker is lucky I can barely move" I mumble

Wyatt sits across from me and lets out a breath.

"Since you've been out of school, he's been.. different"

"Different, how?"

"He's an asshole to everyone, he broke up with Brittany, he is starting fights with the boys on the team, he's failing almost all his classes. Coach threatened to kick him off, and the only reason he hasn't yet is because he knows how close the two of you are."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

Wyatt shrugs. "Coach says when you are good enough to come back he's going to have a conversation with you too since you've been missing practice so much."

I groan and run my hands through my hair.
"Listen I told Van I'd take her out today, I need to go check on her."

Wyatt nods at me. "I'll get Brynn and we'll get out of your hair"

I stand up and make my way toward Van's room. The door is slightly ajar, and I can hear the girls whispering on the other side, but nothing I can make out. I wait a few seconds before knocking on the door.

"Van? It's me."

There's silence followed by some shuffling before Brynn opens the door. She offers me a small smile before walking past me, cradling her belly.

I slip through the door and catch sight of Van curled up on her bed. Her body shakes with silent sobs and my heart breaks. I slowly make my way towards her, and sink down on the bed next to her.

She wraps her arms around me and cradles her head in my neck. I wrap my good arm around her and pull her as close to me as I can.

"I'm sorry about Monty, I kicked him out, I-I don't know why he-"

"I'm glad you're here" she says through the sobs as she holds me tighter.

"Of course. I promised you, I'd take you to our spot in the park when we were done eating, I wanted to make sure you were okay first. What Monty said it was uncalled for and I'm sorry he said it"

Van shakes her head. "No, don't apologize for him. You didn't say it. He did."

"I just wish there was more I could do for you" I mumble

She nuzzles into my neck and I'm able to get a whiff of her strawberry shampoo.

"You being here is enough, thank you Blake for everything"

She pulls away and sits up, still close enough that if I wanted too I could reach out and cradle her.

She sniffles as the last of her tears cascade down her cheeks. Instinctively my hand reaches out to cup her cheek, as my thumb brushes away her final tears.

Her sad eyes meet mine, and the vulnerability I see sets my heart ablaze. She grabs my hand that is cupping her face, and links her fingers with mine.

The feelings I had for this girl were overwhelming, and I didn't know how much longer I could keep them hidden.