Broken

(song: Broken - Seether)

Once our breakfast was made, we sat down at the island in the middle of the room. The kitchen was brightly lit, sunlight streaming in from the windows around us. When the light caught Ashley's skin, I could see more clearly just how colorful his tattoos were. As the winded down his arms, they seemed to tell one continuous story instead of bits and peices of multiple. I had just started eating when the question I'd been waiting for was asked.
"Where were you going?" Ashley mumbled over a mouthful of pancakes.
I swallowed and was quiet for a moment. "I had a huge fight with my parents and they kicked me out." I looked up, only to see a shocked look in his eyes. "I, um, had been sneaking out at night to go to parties with my friends. When I would come home in the morning covered in smudged makeup and dried sweat, my parents would figure out that I wasn't in bed sleeping all night." I paused for a second to drink some of the water that Ashley had given me. "I then got a tattoo-"
"I saw that." Ashley's hand grazed the area on my shoulder where the tattoo of my grandfather's guitar was. "It's beautiful by the way."
I smiled shyly and tucked my bangs behind my ear. "Thanks. I also got these," I wiggled my lip piercing with my tongue before sticking it out to show off the piercing there. "So when they kicked me out, I packed my shit and went to go stay with a close friend." I sighed and took another sip of water. "But, as you can see, I didn't get very far." Ashley was silent, so I continued. "It pissed me off when my parents wouldn't let me be who I wanted to be...ya know, let me make my own decisions. But...it really hurt me when they told me to get out and not come back." I frowned and looked away. "It really killed me inside..."
Ashley put a hand under my chin and lifted my head gingerly. "Can I ask why?"
My eyes widened slightly at the memory of the day I had gotten the news from my parents. That was the day that I had truely died inside-the one day that I never want to relive again. I could feel tears in the back of my eyes, trying to force their way out. I know I'd have to go back to that day at some point-have to remember the pain I felt when I got the news, how much my chest and throat hurt from sobbing...the crushing feeling as I read his letter to me. I couldn't do that now; it was much too soon. I bit my lip and looked down at my empty water glass, shaking my head.
Ashley sighed and finished his cup of orange juice before fiddling with a pesky piece of pancake that was stuck to his plate with syrup. Unthinkingly, I reached over, making him face me so I could push his bangs out of his eyes. It was like my hand had a mind of its own...I just did it. "Sorry." I mumbled.
He gave me a warm smile, understanding. "I get it Axelle, don't worry. You don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to." He picked up my plate, stacking it on top of his before bringing everything to the sink to be risned off. I watched as the muscles in his arms flexed slightly as he picked up the plates, water running off of them like little waterfalls, splashing little droplets onto his shirt. "So I was thinking," Ashley started after everything was in the dishwasher. He rested his arms on the opposite side of the island to me. "I have to go to the studio, work on my band's album a bit. We were thinking of going out later." He raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Would you like to join us?"
I thought about it for a moment. I could actually go out now without having to deal with people screaming at me when I woke up. I could go out and have fun. I could forget about my worries for one night and not have to deal with them when I got home in the early hours of the morning. Just thinking about going to the club made my heart race with excitement. "Well I'd love to, but I don't think I'll be going anywhere while I'm dressed like this." I gestured to my current, over-sized outfit.
Ashley's eyes roamed over my body, smirking as he did so. "How about we play a game-if you find your stuff without asking for more than one hint, you come with us. If you ask for more hints, I get to choose what we do tonight," He leaned closer to me. "Going to the club or...otherwise." His eyes glinted mischievously . "Ready for your first and only hint?"
I studied him briefly, nodding as I stood carefully. I didn't need his huge sweatpants falling off me now. "Hit me."
"The items that you seek are in a room you know fairly well. Some of life's fondest memories-good or bad-are made in this room. These items you so desperately need-" Ashley announced dramatically in a narrator's voice.
"Get to the point Purdy."
"-Are in a place you have not been to yet." He grinned. "Good luck. I'll leave you to look." He started to head back towards his bedroom. Before I could leave the room, he looked at me over his shoulder. "And should you need another hint, you know where to fine me." He chuckled as I rolled my eyes and we went our separate ways, leaving me to wander around in his huge house.

After a good ten minutes of looking, I had found the room Ashley was talking about-it was a bedroom. My things were resting neatly against the wall opposite the door, next to the dogs' beds. One of the little dogs had been residing there, jumping up when I walked in. This bedroom was on the complete opposite side of the house, though I could faintly hear Ashley's deep humming through the vents.
I picked up my duffle bag of clothes, pulling out skinny jeans and a dark tank top with a deep neckline to change into. Hey, if I was going out later, I needed to look somewhat sexy. I did my make up quickly, dragging thick eyeliner on my lids before even attepting to calm the insanity that was my hair. How had Ashley been able to look at me without bursting into fits of laughter every time? It looked like a mother hen had nested there.
Once the hair situation was settled, I coated it in hairspray, praying that it would last. I eventually found my way out to the deck out back, with Tokyo by my side. When I stepped outside, I noticed Ashley with his feet propped up on the railing, looking out over the view of Los Angeles. Even in the late-morning light, the city looked beautiful. Wihtout looking at me, Ashley said, "So I see we'll be going out with the rest of the band tonight?"
I strode over to the seat across from him, watching the clouds roll lazily by over the city. I didn't notice when Ashley finally looked at me, his brown eyes widening behind his sunglasses as he took in my appearance. I must've looked good, since it took him a while to get past my face. "I can feel you staring at me." I said, turning to meet his gaze.
Just as he opened his mouth to say something, the doorbell rang loud and proud through the air. "Looks like the guys are here." He got up to let them in, leaving me and Tokyo sitting on the deck. The little dog looked up at the chair his owner had previously been sitting in, deciding whether or not to jump into it. He turned towards me, huffing as he pawed at my leg.
"Come on boy, let's go in." I picked the little dog up, though he gave a frustrated grunt as I did so. When I walked into the front room, I was met with four black-clad men. One of them, the one closest to Ashley, looked up at me when I came in. His blue eyes pierced right through me, making me clutch Tokyo tighter, not out of fear, but out of intimidation. The other men, one twirling a pair of drumsticks around, the other two chatting quietly about what sounded like sound boards.
"Hello," The blue eyed one said, his voice still deep with sleep. "I'm Andy," He noticed the way I held Ashley's dog. "Sorry if I frightened you...didn't mean to." He smiled. "How are you doing? The last time I saw you, you were out cold."
I let Tokyo jump free, letting him greet the men standing before me. "I'm fine-Ashley's been taking good care of me." I glanced at Ash, who then blushed a deep shade of pink. Strange, I didn't think that he was capable of blushing that much. "You didn't frighten me, by the way. Your eyes just..." I sighed, not wanting to admit it. "Intimidated me."
Andy laughed loudly-it was a deep, throaty sound that filled the room. "I guess there's a first time for everything!" He brushed his bangs back and gestured to Ashley. "Ash mentioned that we had the pleasure of your company tonight," The other boys nodded in agreement. "Are you ready to go?"
"As ready as I'll ever be." I bit my lip rather shyly as they all turned to head back out the door, laughing and making plans to stop at a coffee shop on the way to pick up food. I looked around for my purse, only to have it slung over my shoulder by Ashley.
"Looking for that? Don't worry, everything's in there." He smiled and put a hand between my shoulders, guiding me out to his car. He opened the door for me, waiting till I was settled before getting in the driver's side.
The shorter man out of the group, I thought I heard someone call him Jinxx, leaned in my window, saying: "We'll meet see ya at the studio!" Before getting into a car with Andy, speeding off down the road, whooping like mad men as they went.