Prologue: Punk Rock Chick

(song: Punk Rock Chick (Pretty in Black) - Joel Faviere)

        Good. I’m glad they can’t deal with me anymore. I wanted to leave this hellhole anyway.  I liked the way I was now- I was exactly who I wanted to see every day in the mirror.  I really don’t care what anyone thinks about me anymore. I finished shoving my things in my duffle bag, before picking up my guitar case and leaving without another glance into the life I had.

My iPod was blaring in my ears as I walked down the road with my head down. I wasn't going home anytime soon.

          My parents had a huge screaming match with me over some of the things I'd done in the past month that ultimately resulted in kicking me out. I snuck out to go to concerts, went to parties held by people my parents didn't want me hanging out with, getting snake bites and a tattoo, and just a bunch of other harmless things. I mean, come on; it's not like I killed somebody! Well, I had almost killed this guy I was messing around with, Diego. We had been drinking way to much one night and ended up in this huge spat, half of which I don’t remember. Diego seemed to think that I belonged to him, though neither of us had ever made anything official; all we really ever did was fuck then fight. He still follows me around, even though I told him to get lost. He was a big part of the reason my parents wanted me out.

I was getting ready to leave anyway.

          I was getting cold...and very hungry. It had been some odd hours since I had something in my stomach, since I really hadn’t eaten much yesterday, due to the fact that if I left my room, a screaming match would start up. The constant growling of my stomach was beginning to make me notice how much it actually hurt-it was starting to make me light headed. I decided to sit down for a few minutes, maybe let the crisp, early-fall air clear my head a bit.

          But once I sat down, the world started tipping to the side, almost as if I were tilting a camera to get a different perspective. There were few people walking past and those that did look at me, didn’t dare stop, not wanting to get involved with a kid like me.

          “Hey, you okay?” A voice close to me asked urgently as I closed my eyes and succumbed to the blackness.