Chapter Thirty-Six: Special Delivery

Start from the beginning

No, he couldn't know about that. Unless...no way. Duke wouldn't have ratted us out. Would he?

"I know you slept together last night." Dean Lachlan straightened up to gaze at me, devoid of emotion.

My head was spinning, a sickening knot sunk to the pit of my stomach. I could barely speak. "How?"

"I went to find Nero this morning to apologize. Instead I found you."

His voice shook, his hands were clenched at his sides.

"Naked."

He closed his eyes, and spoke through gritted teeth. "Discarded on the floor like a used piece of garbage."

In a blink, Dean Lachlan's fists were on fire. And faster than I could see, he plunged one through the bathroom door, a foot away from my head.

I flinched at the impact.

"I'm...I should go." Dean Lachlan abruptly sounded distant as he pulled his hand out of the door. "Apologies for the door. I'll have it taken care of immediately."

I opened my eyes just in time to see him slip quietly out of the room, looking utterly defeated.

~~~

Dean Lachlan's visit left me tired all over. Too tired to stand up for a shower. Luckily Jo and I had a shower/tub combo in our bathroom.

It hadn't occurred to me that I was dressed until then. It wasn't much, though; just a navy blue blazer. And it wasn't mine.

Oh, Gabriel.

I felt a sudden pang of guilt at the sight of his jacket draped over my shoulders. He'd saved my life by giving me his blood, and how did I repay him? By losing my virginity to one of his co-workers.

He saved my life. So what? I thought with a sigh. That didn't make me obligated to save myself for him.

He'd violated me. He tried to kill his friends. He damned me to be stuck here with our marriage being my only way out.

But he hadn't done those things because he simply felt like it. No. His crimes were crimes of passion, blossoming from his feelings for me. From his love for--

"Nope." I shook the notion away. "Nuh-uh. Not going there."

Gingerly, I slipped into the tub, and closed my eyes while the foamy water lapped at my aching muscles.

I shouldn't feel guilty for what Nero and I did.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that that wasn't the case. I didn't feel guilty about having sex with Nero. I felt guilty for getting caught.

I placed a washcloth over my face and slid deeper into the bubbles. "Ugh, what a mess."

"Yeah, no kidding."

I was startled yet again, but didn't dare jump out of the bath.

The bubbles were my only cover.

"Damnit, Aiden." I moved the rag to glare at him. "What are you doing here?"

He was peeking through the hole in my bathroom door, turquoise eyes alight with mirth. "Oh, me? I'm here to fill your hole."

"Ha ha." I replied flatly. "That's the only hole of mine you'll ever get to fill."

"Ouch," he winced playfully. "Someone's got her sassy pants on."