Chapter Thirty: Zombie

I woke up at five the next morning, grinning idiotically. A dull throb nestled between my legs, reminding me of Duke's visit.

"May I have more?"

My heart thumped at the memory, and I found myself grateful my period had ended earlier yesterday evening.

Though it probably wouldn't have mattered to Duke. He was a vampire, after all. And considering how skilled he was with his tongue, it probably wouldn't have mattered to me, either.

Shaking my head clear, I decided to take a shower before I got worked up.

I tiptoed past a sleeping Jo, wishing I could talk to her about last night, and stepped inside the bathroom.

It was my first sexual encounter;
I was so excited, I could burst. But because of Duke's job with the university, I couldn't tell Jo without getting myself and him into trouble.

Maybe I could be vague?

I thought, starting up the shower.

As I pulled off my nightshirt, I decided it was best to keep my mouth shut. If Dean Lachlan found out what happened...my thoughts abruptly shifted to yesterday, when Lucius and I hatched my escape plan.

"What if Dean Lachlan finds out what you're up to?"

"I would likely be executed." Lucius replied in a calm, indifferent tone. "Or, tortured to the point of wishing I were dead."

If he'd be willing to torture/kill Lucius for helping me leave, I could only imagine what he'd do to Duke for performing oral sex on me.

"Audrey?" Nero was perched on the bathroom windowsill, glaring against the light. "What are you doing here?"

Hastily, I snagged a towel and wrapped it around me.

"Me?" I hissed. "What are you doing here?"

He wasn't in his campus security uniform, but a pair of grey sweatpants.

No shirt.

No shoes.

Holy fuck.

"There was a perimeter breach," he answered, lithely sliding inside. "And I wanted to check on you."

"Oh," my eyes skimmed over his frame, and I had to look away.

It was almost like he was made of marble, his muscles were so perfectly chiseled; pectorals, abs, the delicious V-line that rested between his hips. He wasn't bulky, though, but lean and athletic.

And I couldn't keep my eyes off him.

"Thanks," I mumbled, catching another glimpse of him. "But, as you can see, I'm fine."

I really wasn't though.

There was a lump in my throat, my heart was racing, and I felt flushed. Our kiss from yesterday came to mind, and I blushed brighter.

Then, I felt guilty.

Nero had told me he loved me, and in spite of my rejecting him, he still came to check on me.

"Listen, Nero, about yesterday--"

"Don't sweat it," he interrupted, leaning against the bathroom sink. "I shouldn't have sprung that on you like that. I just thought... nevermind. It doesn't matter."

He was looking down at his bare feet, hands in his pockets.

I touched his bicep to get his attention. "What is it? Nero, what did you think?"