Misguided Pretenses

I can't believe I'm posting this... I hope you like it. Comment, ", tell me what you think good or bad.

I didn't care about being relatable; I gave up on that years ago. It was pointless. Judgment was inevitable. People either envied me or hated my boldness, but I'd rather be myself than face the impending disappointment of putting on a mask.

Although, even when I made myself clear, it still went through one ear and out the other. In the end, I supposed people heard what they wanted to hear because reality was too damn painful.

"I know you said you weren't looking for anything serious, but I just want to see you again," he laughed awkwardly, and I snorted.

I never realized how high-strung he was. Then again, whenever we were together, there was no room for nervous shifting or unsettled glances. Maybe that's why he was always a few drinks in when we would meet. I figured it was a coincidence, but the bumbling boy I listened to was nothing compared to his firm grip.

He cleared his throat before speaking again." Just call me back. Don't wanna express myself through a phone."

Don't think so, Adam. already knew his type; Sheltered and desperate for some human connection. He would cling on to something life-altering in a heartbeat if he hadn't already.

The sound of footsteps captured my attention. Kyley's stiff frame finally emerged from the bathroom after her disappearance 20 minutes ago. I didn't think to take a pregnancy test took so damn long but knowing Kyley she must have stared at that stick for half the time she was in there.

"Ready?" I questioned cautiously. Her hands shook in her lap.

After days of convincing her to take a test, she agreed. I didn't understand her hesitance. In her situation, I would pee on a stick before you could say Baby Daddy, even though the thought of children terrified me. But Kyley wasn't me. She and Grey were inseparable. With a potential baby, the bond that held them together would weave in tighter.

Emotions unbeknownst to me flourished, twisting my gut.

Kyley blew out a trembled breath and smiled wryly. "It's now or never."

Dainty hands reached out; I held my breath as Kyley turned each pregnancy test skyward. I watched mutely as she released a single sob.

"It's positive," she croaked. Instantly she wept; A head full of brunette waves falling into her hands.

Dread bled through my veins. A picture of a baby boy with brown eyes, Grey's mop of curls unwittingly formed in the forefront of my mind. I grimaced. I shook my head as if to rid of the foreign sensations, but I couldn't stop it from unfurling. Scanning the coffee table aimlessly, I snatched up one of the empty pregnancy tests and swiftly read over the instructions.

I looked between the tests, the yellow printed words before me, and felt relief lift the weight off my chest.

"Ky, you aren't pregnant," I said, but she couldn't hear me.

She buried her face in her hands, shoulders shaking with every heavy intake of breath. Groaning uncomfortably, I shoved her head up, forcing the empty box into her line of sight.

"Bitch, you aren't pregnant," I repeated with a little of amusement," Blue is negative."

Kyley's lips parted in confusion. I allowed her to take the test from my hand. She eyed the items in question, and I flinched back as she laughed hysterically.

"Yeah," I drawled, "You're insane."

She laughed some more, a fresh round of tears cascaded down her cheeks. "I'm not pregnant, thank the Lord."