7: father ignorance will make brothers of us all

god NOW we start really getting into it, get ready :)

Ive decided to give you all extreme jesskas fluff before extreme jesskas angst you're welcome 

***

Removing Jesse's leg from over his knee, Lukas quickly got out of bed and stepped outside the room, where Olivia was pacing back and forth-- a bad habit she'd probably picked up from Jesse. Her eyes followed the floor, one hand running through at lightly pulling at her frizzy hair.

"What does this mean?"

"It means we're dealing with something far from the natural world, Lukas-- I didn't think this was possible, but with Jesse being possessed--"

"He wasn't possessed--"

Olivia threw her hands up. "Please explain to me what happened, then, by all means. Do you have a better conclusion?" 

"No," Lukas admitted sheepishly. Olivia prodded his chest with one finger. "We know magic exists in our world, from the command block to Jesse's sword to the End and Nether portals themselves. We know there's alternate worlds, alternate dimensions, and possibly even parallel dimensions. What-- what if all this demon stuff was true, and Hell was just another dimension that exists unknown to us? And if what was eating all that livestock-- was really a demon-- and they could pass through dimensions somehow--"

"Olivia, you're getting way ahead of yourself--" 

"No! Lukas, I actually think I'm catching onto something. If demons could pass through dimensions, they'd need a gate, a rift, of some sort. What you described-- what you found at the temple-- from a higher point of view wouldn't it just look like some sort of summoning circle? And what if-- what if demons weren't supposed to be here, like being here would mess the world up, they'd be too powerful-- so we woke one and now it's going to screw everything up--" 

Lukas opened his mouth, then closed it. What Olivia was saying hypothetically made sense. They both spoke at the same time.

"We need to find Ivor."

"Axel and Petra are asleep; Axel found him in his lava house putting away the resources he got from the Nether. He should still be there. Meet me in the library in fifteen minutes-- and don't wake Jesse up. Let him rest." 

Lukas nodded in agreement. "Exactly what I was thinking." Olivia dashed away, and Lukas went back inside Jesse's room to make sure he was sleeping.

He checked the redstone clock sitting on Jesse's desk. 10:48 pm. Looked like he was going to be up for a while if he wanted to figure this out.

Demons and Spirits: The Complete Literary Work still sat near Jesse's painting where Olivia had left it, the piece of paper with Lukas' scribbling sticking out. Lukas would pick it up on his way to the library. 

The rustling of blankets caught his attention. Jesse stirred in his sleep, grasping at the space where Lukas had previously been, muttering a frantic phrase under his breath like he was having some sort of. . . nightmare. The muttering and stirring continued to get worse as Lukas moved closer, Jesse kicking off the blankets, a thin sheen of sweat over his face and neck. Lukas sat on the bed to feel his forehead and inhaled sharply, pulling his hand away.

Jesse was burning up. His forehead was hotter than any fever Lukas had ever felt. 

Lukas threw the rest of the blanket off of him and opened the windows, letting a mildly cool breeze filter through the room. 

He ran across the hallway to wake up Axel and Petra, explaining Jesse's fever and what they should do for it since he was going to meet Olivia and Ivor in a few minutes. Petra and Axel were groggy to say the least, but understood they needed to keep Jesse's temperature from going higher than it already was. "Keep a cold towel on his head, don't cover him in any blankets, if he wakes up have him take a cold bath and keep him hydrated--"