2: young ambition

Outside of the city, Lukas felt kind of. . . free. The main road normally consisted of travelers, but the dirt lanes leading to the farms of people who didn't want the chaos that came with lodging in Beacontown's walls-- or made a living with ranching and crops-- were long, mostly empty stretches of pathway between fields of wheat and cotton, orchards, streams, glades, and patches of wildflowers. The middle of summer was passing quickly and most plants were in bloom.

Fall would be busy: the festival, harvests, people coming down from more northern cities before snow blocked their way, some from farther south before the annual rains began.

Finch trotted smoothly, ears pricked, occasionally swiveling as herding dogs guarding flocks of cattle and sheep barked at horse and rider. It had been a while since Lukas had been out on his own. He stayed alert, remembering what Olivia said about an animal eating livestock.

Of course, there'd been cases like this before-- thin, mangy wolves becoming so desperate as to raid farms, killing chickens and goats, but they could be dangerous after going without food for so long, especially in packs. There had even been a few cases of larger timber wolves, sometimes bears, if hungry enough, ending up too far south while scavenging for food once their hibernation was over.

Lukas spotted a farmhouse on his left and urged Finch into a canter. The faster he reached Jesse, the better. There was no telling what he'd get himself into.

A brunette woman building what seemed to be a shed on the side of her home raised a hand in greeting, dropped her tools, and walked towards him, growing excited as she realized who it was. Lukas politely asked if she'd seen Jesse pass this way, and where he went.

She pointed farther down the road and gave him directions, waving as he set off again, nudging Finch into a gallop this time. Apparently some miles down, maybe fifteen minutes if he kept a fast pace, a family was having trouble with an animal killing chickens, goats, rabbits, and trying to infiltrate the house. They'd tried everything they could think of to get rid of the thing with no success so far. It evaded all traps, left barely any tracks, and was incredibly elusive. Stumped, they'd sent for Jesse, seeing as he could solve any problem in their eyes.

Lukas slowed to a halt as he approached the path leading through tall oak trees to the family's home. The gate locked by a simple latch, he passed easily. The fenced-in area was huge, and cows blinked at him from under the shade, lowing and swinging their tails. He observed more as the trees leveled out to a rolling plain, green with rich summer grass.

Lukas dismounted and led Finch to the porch, where four people dressed in dusty clothes were sitting playing a game of cards. The oldest, probably the grandfather, stood to shake his hand, a little awed. "The more the merrier, I always say. Thanks for your help, Lukas. Really appreciate it."

"No problem," Lukas hitched his horse to a post, leaving enough rein for him to graze freely. Jesse's was there, too: a smaller, stocky paint mare he named Cisco after taking her in from a rancher. She tossed her head and whickered, baring her flat teeth and making funny faces.

Jesse had left his sword in its sheath strapped to the saddle. Lukas figured he would keep his bow, in case he needed it, and slung it behind him along with a full quiver of arrows.

Jesse had a soft spot for animals-- he'd wanted to get a pet many times in the past but was always turned down. They simply didn't have enough time to take care of dogs, cats, or fish or pigs or whatever he wanted when they were so busy already, plus the horses. Lukas also worried about the danger any animal companions would face if they joined the team on an adventure.

The farmer, named David, led him around the edge of the farmhouse, towards a barn. The wooden fence continued on his left, circling the home, barn, and a garden filled with growing vegetables. Lukas could barely see the end of the pasture it was so big. To his left stood a chicken coop and animal pens containing goats and rabbits, and a large shed sitting next to the trees. From there on the undergrowth grew until it appeared impossible to break through.