Excitement in town

Start from the beginning

        Carina looked right and left at the many colorfully garbed people and at the shops, inhaling the redolent aromas. They passed the fishmonger store, with its own pervasive smell, and Giancarlo told her the owner's stock of fish came mainly from the Mediterranean. He said they could see its blue waters from the upper level of his stronghold as well as from the observation towers.

Carina didn't want to miss the opportunity to see the water. They began climbing the steps of the nearest tower. A guard was on duty, and he released the lock and opened the heavy door allowing them to take the narrow steps leading to the top. "Wonderful," she said, as she looked out over the Mediterranean's foam crested waves. Giancarlo pointed out the little port on the seaside, the small boats in the water, and the grapevines growing on the sides of the hills. 

        They walked down the steps of the tower to the street. Giancarlo showed her a narrow barbershop and lifted a hand in greeting to the short man who stood in the doorway in the absence of customers. "He will also remove a bad tooth or do a bloodletting if you need it," said Giancarlo.

        They passed a shop where a cooper was busy making a barrel, and then looked into the stalls of a greengrocer. Carina was impressed at the variety of vegetables, roots, herbs and berries  for sale.

        "Where does he get all this?" she asked.

        "He and his son are resourceful. Many they grow, some they find not far away, and others they import. If you see anything you like, it is yours. Here, try this one."

        She took the small green fruit from him and tasted it. "Bitter," she said, making a face. She continued looking through the bins of vegetables and fruits and selected a bunch of berries.

        "Don't you have a bag?" asked the greengrocer.

        "Add one to the bill, Franz," said Giancarlo.

        "Sire, for you there is no charge."

         They continued along the street, and Carina became more fascinated by the number and mix of people than the shops. She had never seen so many men, women and children wearing such varied and colorful clothing. Looking into a side street, she asked Giancarlo to stop so she could watch a swarm of children playing a game with hoops and balls. She didn't know the game, but it captured her attention for it was being played with a great deal of enthusiasm and yelling. Giancarlo pointed out to her the major object of the sport—throwing the ball through the rolling hoop.

         They walked past the shop of the soap and candle maker, and came to a textile store. There, Carina became completely engrossed in the shimmering fabrics. She pulled cloth from a bolt of costly red silk fabric, letting it slide through her fingers, then brought it to her nose, inhaling its light but distinctive aroma. She stopped at a bin of soft Marino wool, knowing it was expensive and hard to obtain. Looking up at Giancarlo, she said, "Ah, what I could do with yarn such as this on my loom."

        "They sell both fiber and fabric here," said Giancarlo. "Which would you prefer?"

        "You would buy it for me?"

        "Of course."

        Carina noted Giancarlo returned her rapt gaze with a smile of his own and saw he was quite disarming when he smiled. "Then I would have the yarn, please," she said. "I can  make my father a magnificent mantle with wool such as this."

        Giancarlo made arrangements with the tailor to have a bag of both the silk fiber as well as the fine Marino yarn delivered to him. He told Carina he would have it transported from there to her father's fortress.

        Giancarlo's mention of the fortress reminded Carina of the unresolved plight of her family. The merriment suddenly left her countenance and she lowered her eyes.

        Giancarlo saw the change in her manner and quickly affirmed that the yarn would be taken with them tomorrow so she wouldn't have to wait.

        "It's not that," she said. "I am enjoying the riches and excitement of your city while my family and people are besieged, trying to survive on roots, scraps and those few birds they can catch."

        Giancarlo turned to face her. He touched the underside of her chin causing Carina to look up at him. "Do not be sad, Carina. Tomorrow we leave with a large force to rescue your people. The state of your family and manor will soon be changed. Believe me. I promise it."

Barbers: No dentists then, so if you had a bad tooth, it was to the barber you would go for him to pull it. They didn't have nearly the sweets we have, so maybe their teeth were better.

Bloodletting: Believed up until the nineteenth century that letting out some of the "bad blood" was good if you were sick.

Colorful garments: People used natural dyes to color their clothes, by soaking them in water and dyes taken from plants, tree bark, etc.  Those living in towns often wore more colorful clothing because they could purchase the service of a professional dyer. Yes, that was their job.

Hope you find this extra info helpful. But, if you don't, that's fine. The story is the main thing.  Hope you like it so far.