8. Bunking Classes

Start from the beginning

"I plead guilty, sir,'' she said. Even before the principal could react, she smiled innocently. "But, I want Harshad to explain the reason behind this mess."

Harshad panicked. "Sir, I didn't do anything. She punched me in front of the whole college and insulted my sister", he blurted out and smirked at Nandini. "I was just defending my sister's honor."

She chuckled. "Stop using such a long string of words, Harshad. It doesn't suit you. Why don't you clarify to sir about how Manik found himself in between a fight between us?"

Harshad sent a quick glare at her before turning towards the principal. "Sir, I was just clearing his doubts", he explained lamely.

Manik's mouth fell open. How could people lie through their teeth? It was one thing if he wasn't present here but lying in front of him was outright wrong, thought Manik to himself.

Nandini wasn't someone to let a person accuse her of a mistake she didn't commit. Listening to his excuse, she banged her hand on the table ignoring the principal, whereas the principal was watching their interaction as if she didn't do anything out of normal. "Harshad", she warned, before letting a breath out. She turned, facing the principal. "Sir, ask him what was the doubt that he, Harshad Saxena, an art student was clarifying to a science student. And if he wants to escape giving an excuse of telling Manik the route to the campus, why would Manik ask him, a stranger, instead of calling his friends? We were right inside the canteen."

"Is this some kind of ragging, Harshad?", the principal asked, sternly, "Because if it is, you know ragging is a punishable offense in this college and I might have to expel you."

"No, sir", defended Nandini. "He just wanted to create a nuisance by involving Manik."

Manik frowned but when the Principal raised an eyebrow at him, he smiled and nodded.

The principal sighed and rubbed his forehead. "Harshad, Nandini, you both should realize that you are the head students of this college. You should be setting examples for your juniors and classmates. Instead, you are just fighting amongst yourselves since the day you have taken up this position."

"Sorry, sir", Nandini mumbled.

He smiled at her and faced Harshad. "Harshad, I expect more responsibility from you. Nandini has always proved herself as to why she is one of the best head girls. I have witnessed more complaints and excuses from you than your work. Don't make me regret my decision of choosing you."

He nodded meekly before taking permission and left the room. Nandini and Manik followed him just after. They met Harshad just outside the room, shooting daggers at them.

Nandini pouted. "What is this, baby? Are you this weakling that you can't handle a punch from a girl? I expected more from you, what with your 'huge' fan following in the college?"

He gritted his teeth. "This isn't over yet, Nandini. You will pay for this."

"I know, baby. Our relationship is stronger than ending just because of a mere warning from the principal, right?", she glowered at him. "Don't you try messing with me again, Harshad. I won't always go soft on you."

She walks away with Manik behind her.

"Nandini", he called her and panicked when she stopped in her tracks to turn around by half a circular degree.

"Is this the first time you called my name?", she asked.

"I am sorry, I-"

She was cut him off and shook her head. "No, I just didn't realize. It's not a problem."