Flying Monkeys

More than once Severus found himself comparing Harry to a flying monkey. And while he was way bigger and didn't have wings, that didn't mean the boy wasn't acting like one. Harry had fully discovered the joys of climbing and taking flying leaps off of furniture. Given the fact that is seemed to be Ronald's favorite pastime, Severus was honestly surprised it hadn't happened earlier. It was that very reason that Severus frequently found himself healing bruises on Ronald while the boys slept over.

Currently, Harry liked to jump onto the back of the couch and launch himself at Severus as he passed by. Severus had more than once dropped whatever was in his hands to catch the boy. Despite the fact that he had tried to discipline Harry on this issue, no punishment seemed to sink in.

Severus understood it though, even if he didn't like it. Harry was cursed to stay indoors, not even their little garden did the job. Severus himself at times felt stir crazy and he could only imagine how hard it was for Harry who was barely allowed to leave their quarters.

So if Severus went a little easy on the boy no one could really blame him. He just hoped that this wouldn't affect Harry in a negative way, hoped that this small indulgence wouldn't ruin the boy.

At the moment though, Harry was luckily too consumed with his birthday to be hanging from the furniture. He and Ronald were busy watching Charlie turn teacups into exotic birds, and now there were a half a dozen colorful birds flapping and squawking about the room, perching on every surface in a cheerful display.

Severus flicked his wand and turned the birds back into teacups and floated them over so that they could be used. Molly poured the tea as if second nature as she scolded Fred and George for having pulled at one of the bird's tail feathers.

Having recently discovered that Severus grew up in a non-magical household, Arthur had started questioning him on various muggle objects. It was for this very reason that Severus had never disclosed his background before. With a sigh, Severus guided the man over to one of the nearest bookcases to show him an old book he had gotten from professor Burbage for Harry to look through. It was the "Wizarding Guide to No-Maj." Since the wizards in America lived in closer contact with the non-magical population than those in Britain, they had better literature on the subject. This copy was a little out of date but it shocked Arthur nonetheless.

One thing Severus always found odd about the Wizarding world was how isolated wizards seemed to think they were. Arthur, despite working for the Ministry of Magic, likely never thought about the fact that there were wizards from all over the world that he could learn from.

It had come as quite a shock when Severus first left Hogwarts to find there was a whole world of potions and ingredients he had never been introduced to. At the behest of the Dark Lord (not that he would have objected), he searched the world, plucking new information from various sources as a girl plucks wildflowers from a field. With every new place he went, potion's master he met, and book he read, his own potions became more refined and potent. He had cut the brewing time on all the basic potions down by half.

Severus was suddenly pulled out of his thoughts when he heard the scream of, "Look, Ron, I can fly!" before Harry launched himself from the back of the couch straight at Severus. The distance between them was too great. In horror, Severus watched as the boy began to fall. However, before he could hit the ground, the boy was already floating back up towards him.

Severus grabbed onto Harry, the boy giggling nonstop and Ronald whispering in the background in amazement, obviously not having seen what had happened. Severus turned to see that Arthur had his wand out, lightly held in his hand while flipping through the book not even seeming to realize what he had just done. Severus hadn't even heard him utter a spell.