Fifty-Two

NALAK

There is a knock on the door and I look up from feeding Cash's baby. He's been asleep since I had to do a C-section on him go get his baby out but the sutures look okay so far. I mean, I'm sure they have looked better but I'm not a doctor and I can't sew. Sakina has been working really hard since R left and today is her off day so she is taking a nap. I was left alone to care for the baby but I'm using it as a kind of preparation for when I have mine. It would be interesting... I look through the peephole of the door and see Dr. Heckler standing outside.

I open the door and she turns to me with a smile.

"Hello, Nalak. My you're getting big." I blush a little and let her inside. "How is the patient?"

"I know my sewing isn't the best but so far he seems okay..."

"If you followed Waverly's instructions just as she said to you on the phone then everything should have gone halfway decent. If nothing else she is wonderful about giving directions. I told her she should try to become a teacher in the Badlands."

"I think she's do fine. You want me to go ahead and take you to Cash?"

"In a minute. I need to examine the child and make sure there are no ailments with her."

I nod and hand the baby over to Dr. Heckler so she can examine her. The baby's violet eyes widen at Dr. Heckler's elephant skull mask but she doesn't cry out in fear or anything. I'm sure she finds it intriguing as well as frightening.

"-kina! Sakina!" I hear from the back of the house.

"I'll be right back."

I walk down to Cash's room but find him coming down the hallway with his hand over his stomach as she slowly inches along.

"Casshern, you have to stay in bed."

"I'm pretty sure I called for my sister, not you." he growls.

"Sakina is asleep. What's wrong and I'll try to help?"

"I don't know... I don't feel right for some reason... and I'm thirsty."

"Here, let me help you to the kitchen then. The doctor is here so she can help you. She's looking at your daughter for right now."

"Verona."

"Huh?"

"My baby's name... her name is Verona."

"That's a nice name..."

"Thanks. Can you let me go now?"

"I thought you said you wanted to get some water?"

"I don't need your help, vampire."

I hold my hands up and let him lead the way back to the living room.

When Casshern rounds the corner, he makes a face at Dr. Heckler.

"What the hell am I looking at?"

"That would be Dr. Heckler."

At hearing her name, Dr. Heckler looks up and smiles a little.

"You must be the father of this child." She says softly as she rocks Verona and holds out her hand at the same time. "Dr. Bowie Heckler."

Cash looks at her for a second and Dr. Heckler makes a face.

"Catch him, Nalak."

I don't realize what she means until Cash slinks from the wall and I catch him in my arms.

"Take him back to his room. As well as Waverly might have told you for the stitches, an amateur like yourself may have done them wrong. Be gentle with him."