Thirty-Seven

"All is well." Doctor Heckler said.

Nalak and I sigh of relief as Dr. Heckler smiles at us.

"You're ready to head on out and get where you need to be. You're aware that your child will be an albino just like you, right?"

"I kind of figured..." Nalak mumbles.

"Lucky for us, when a rare case of an Altered with a swell happens, the child will be whatever the parent is. In this case, it will be a flesh-albino just like you; no worries of becoming a blood-albino... well, unless by extraordinary means..."

Nalak smiles and touches his small pooch.

"Thanks. I'm happy that it's okay. So there's nothing different about it in regards to medication and effects from the lavender on it?"

"Ah, yes, thank you for reminding me." Dr. Heckler pulls out a folder and flips through some pages. She pulls out a page and looks it over. "It looks like the child will be a little more susceptible to lavender than a normal albino but nothing too extreme. I think it will be able to detect it easier and things like that."

"Okay. So, who do I go to for another checkup?"

"That is a good question. I'm not really sure. Maybe your friend will be able to tell him?" Dr. Heckler asks, looking at me.

"Yeah, maybe."

"You need to make haste. I just got word from your new guardians that the Ansel trail is definitely leading them here. You'll need to hurry up to get far enough ahead of them to keep a good distance."

"What about Waverly?" Nalak asks.

"I can take care of her. I'd go and say your goodbyes and head out."

We nod and head back to Waverly's house.

****************************

Nalak

I really don't want to say goodbye but I have to get to the Badlands before we cause anymore problems.

"Hey, good thing is that she'll be turning into an albino soon and you can meet back up with her when she has to come to the Badlands too." R says.

I give R a look and he shrugs sheepishly.

"I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not."

"Both, kind of. I'm just trying to lighten the mood a little." he says as he pulls stuff from the drawers and sticks them into some proper suitcases.

"You lighten the mood? Are we not going to talk about what happened here yesterday?"

"Everyone was there, Nalak; I'm sure I don't really need to repeat the incident."

"Don't you want to discuss it?"

"I shouldn't have gotten attached to them. Plain and simple. Waverly was right and I brought it upon myself. Nothing to really get angry about or whatever..." he says, slamming some socks into the suitcase.

"Now you're just being obstinate."

"I'm being realistic. I brought that tragedy unto myself. Only me... Waverly warned me and I let my feelings get the better of me."

I sighed as R packed the suitcase but I could smell the silent tears he was shedding. He wasn't fooling anyone... He was trying to keep it together, but he would eventually crumble like he's done in the past.

"Do you really think we can find each other? Waverly and me?"

"I think if you leave something with your scent on it then she can find out again. Like dogs..."