Chapter 7- Border Collie Stare

Start from the beginning

Sirius seemed expectant, a smirk now threatening to pull at his lips. "I don't think you have much of a choice, mate."

The clerk rolled his eyes. "You're just taking the mick, aren't ye? Tell me you're buying these for Potter."

"I don't know why I would..." The corner of Sirius's mouth twitched. "Considering James is going for Seeker next season—"

"HE WHAT?!"

The sheer volume of Wood's words startled me and I took a step back, bumping into a jingling display full of keychains for a bunch of teams I'd never heard of. It sort of hurt. Sirius look back at me, amused and entirely unsympathetic, then turned back to the clerk, even more amused. "We really don't have all day, Wood, so if you could please—"

"SEEKER?! OF ALL THE—THAT SHOWBOATING DOLT! HE'S GOING TO RUIN THE TEAM I SPENT FIVE YEARS PERFECTING—"

"Wood, you're scaring Higgs."

"WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?!"

"Captain, I'd assume."

"HIM? SEEKER?! MERLINS BALLS—OF ALL THE FUCKED UP—" Wood cut himself off and looked at me, shamefaced, a blush creeping up his neck. "Em... Sorry for the language, Ma'am..."

"Oh... um..." I tucked my hair behind my ears and crossed my arms over my chest, surprised he remembered I was there.

Sirius shook his head, reaching in his pocket. "Can you just let me pay you already?"

Wood scowled at Sirius, then took a deep breath, pressing buttons on the cash register as he muttered under his breath. "Chaser? You? I just can't believe it... Eleven Sickles."

"Got change for a Galleon?" Sirius smirked, flipping the golden coin in the air.

Wood seemed personally offended and snatched the coin mid-air, fiddling with the register once again. "I expect Marls had an absolute cow when you told her."

Sirius stiffened subtly at my side, pausing before answering. "Hasn't come up, actually."

Wood paused, eyes wide. "You haven't told her yet?"

"She'll get over it," Sirius said, a definite bite to his voice.

Wood glanced from me to Sirius, raising an eyebrow. "Where is Marls?"

"Does it matter?"

Seemed like it did.

Wood spared a long puzzled look at me, that made me very much wish I'd gone to the stupid dress shop once again, then turned back to Sirius. "Did you two...?"

I followed his gaze, stomach sinking for some inexplicable reason...

Sirius tapped his fingers on the counter. "I haven't got all day, Wood."

Wood's eyebrows rose, still puzzled, but after a few clicks and dings, returned Sirius his due change. "Need a bag?"

Sirius grabbed the metal compass thing and the gloves and stuffed them in his jacket pockets. "Nah, I've got it."

Wood took a long breath, scratching the back of his neck. "Good luck with chaser—I mean, I still think you're off your rocker to go for anything but beater—but cheers all the same."

Sirius let out a hoarse laugh. "See you around, mate— C'mon, Higgs."

I followed after him, mind buzzing with questions as we walked back onto the cobbled street...