Chapter Three; Jellicle Dusk

As the moon clambered it's way up the blanket of night, Gracie quickly went into a sheltered part of the Junkyard, looking around quietly, a soft smile lining her features. "Grandpa?" She called.
"Gracie?" Called back a shaky voice. "Is that you, you little kit?"
Gracie chuckled lightly. "It is indeed, grandpa." She reached the elderly Tom, a frail ginger and black cat.
"Oh, look at you." The Tom smiled warmly, his shaky hand reaching out, and cupping her cheek. "A beautiful queen. A beautiful queen indeed."
Gracie blushed lightly. "Stop it, grandpa..." she chuckled lightly. "I wanted to ask your advice on something ..." she said slowly.

"Go ahead, kit." The Tom smiled.
"If you were to ask someone to dance with you at the ball...how would you go about it?" Gracie said softly to him.
"Well...I'd begin with some casual conversation, and veer the topic towards the dance, then ask."
Gracie nodded once. "Thank you, grandpa." She smiled warmly.
"You're most welcome, kit ."

Gracie fell silent for a moment, looking at her grandfather, for what could be one of the last times. Bustopher Jones had ascended to the Heavyside layer the year before, and she almost feared that her grandfather would be next.
He was an old soul. He suffered from palsy, making his hands shake uncontrollably, making him seem even more frail than he did with just his skinny, and almost skeletal figure.
She would be happy for him if he did, however, she would miss him terribly. She was awfully close to him, and always loved hearing his stories about the theatre, and how much things have changed. She adored him with all her heart and soul, as did his daughter in law, and Gracie's aunt, Jellylorum.

"Will we be seeing you tonight, grandpa?" The ginger queen asked the wise old Tom, breaking the silence that had fallen over them. The Tom slowly nodded, "I believe you will be, yes." He replied.
Gracie smiled softly. "I'll see you later then...wish me luck?" She chuckled lightly, mostly out of nerves. The theatre cat nodded once again, "Break a leg." He smiled warmly at her. She held his hands in hers. "Thank you!" She gleamed, before jogging away, with a small wave behind her.
The old Tom slowly raised his hand, as a shaky goodbye.

Ariadne, meanwhile, had slid her way down to the ground, looking for a particular charming Tom. It didn't take too long to find him, of course.
The Rum Tum Tugger sat near the tyre, beside Bombalurina, laughing away, seemingly at his own joke, since the red queen who sat beside him was merely smiling.

The Gray queen approached the two, her gaze set on Tugger.
Bombalurina noticed this, and shifted slightly, changing her sitting position to one that seemed to shield Tugger from the mystical female. Tugger smiled happily at Ariadne's sudden appearance,
"Ah! Ariadne!" He greeted. "How wonderful it is to see you!" He chuckled, giving her a slight wink.
Ariadne blushed, but only slightly, not enough to be noticed at a far enough distance.
"Good evening, Tugger." Ariadne nodded respectfully, keeping perfect composure, as per normal.

"So, what brings you to my presence?" Tugger asked her, practically shoving Bombalurina aside as he spoke.
"Nothing much." Ariadne replied.
"Let me guess..." Tugger leant forward, resting his hands on his knees. "Is it about the ball?" He asked.

Ariadne laughed. "You seem to be an aspiring psychic." She smiled gently.
"Ooh, I was right?" The charming male seemed to be surprised.
"Indeed." Ariadne chuckled, "I-"
"Yes." Tugger replied, interrupting her. "I would."
Ariadne quirked an eyebrow at his abrupt speech. "Excuse me?" She queried.
"I beg your pardon, Ariadne. Yes, I would like to go to the ball with you tonight." Tugger chuckled lightly. "Perhaps I am a psychic after all." He told her playfully.
"Well, that was an unexpected turn..." Ariadne chuckled in reply.

"Was it? Or was it the answer you expected?" Tugger replied with a raised eyebrow.
"It was the response I wanted, I'll admit, but not the one I expected."
"Isn't that a good thing?" Tugger got to his feet, before strutting away.

Bombalurina, who had observed the entire conversation, leered at the witch's cat. Unlike most of the tribe, she did not think that Ariadne had earned the respect that most cats gave her. She may have been psychic, and magical, but that didn't change anything in the crimson queen's eyes. To Bombalurina, all Ariadne was, was another queen, who wanted to mate with Tugger, and nothing more. It made her blood bubble and boil at the mere thought of the pair together.

Bombalurina sneered as she practically stomped away from the grey and white cat, seething with anger. As she left, she purposely brushed past Tugger, muttering to herself as she did so, before vanishing out of sight.

~~~~~~~

I apologise for the shorter chapter! But hey, it's an update, right?
Anyways, I just want you all to know;
Don't be silent readers!
I love the feedback!

Also, if any of you are into rping, and would like to rp this with me, let me know!

If not, have a brilliant day!