VIII: Healing

The war had been won, despite the dark mage Viren's unknown location, human and elves settled slowly into peace. For the first few weeks, Janai and Amaya remained camped outside of the Spire while the Sunfire Elves recovered in preparation for the long journey back to their kingdom.

Janai, on the newest of days, awoke to Amaya sleeping soundly at her side. Janai brushed the human's hair from her vulnerable face, taking extra note of the beautiful scar located on her cheek. Amaya woke with a soft smile, face flushing with shades of pink.

"You know, I never found out what you said about me when you reunited with your nephews." Janai stated cautiously.

Amaya smirked before pulling the note book from her nearby satchel. Amaya wrote slowly: 'She thinks I'm cute but won't admit it yet.'

When Janai read it she couldn't stifle the growing red on her face. Instead, Janai buried her face in her palms, hiding the color from the gaze of Amaya.

Instead of relinquishing, Amaya gently grabbed Janai's hands from her face to take in the embarrassed look on Janai's beautiful face.

Amaya leaned in to look more closely at Janai, but the elf had other plans.

Janai surged forward, pressing her lips against Amaya's. Warmth overtook Janai, but it was unlike the warmth of fire. Amaya pressed back, sending a shiver down Janai's spine.

When Amaya's hands found Janai's  hips, Janai tilted her head to deepen the kiss. The elf pushed herself into the human's lap, and then further. They fell softly onto the bedrolls, pulling away from the kiss to see each other's faces.

Janai gently placed her hand on Amaya's warm face, closing her eyes and smiling. When Janai opened them, Amaya placed a short kiss upon Janai's lips.

They pulled the note book out to communicate again. Amaya wrote quickly, as she was eager to know Janai's response: 'Can I come with you? Back to Lux Aurea? I want to know more about you, and I want to help your kingdom recover.'

Janai smiled briefly as she took the pencil to respond: 'I can't say no, you are my prisoner after all. In all seriousness, I think I can't physically say no to you.'

Amaya smiled softly as she read the words. Janai smiled momentarily, and Amaya caught the elf's lips in another kiss.

. . .

Fin~