Chapter 11: Mending the Broken Bonds

This morning Mirai woke up in a lighter mood. Her little happiness from last night still lingered in her mind. After a month of living under pressure, she had finally found a bit joy. Keito were surprisingly friendly though a bit stiff. Daiki and Yuto were the stress relief as they threw dry jokes. And Ryosuke, he was still impassive and least in talking, but somehow the air around him felt different, in positive meaning.

Miru had smiled knowingly as Mirai seemed eager to have her breakfast this morning, way different from her usual which Miru used to drag her to the dining room. When they arrived, Ryosuke had just seated on his chair.

"Good morning, my lord," Mirai gave him a small smile.

Ryosuke nodded in acknowledgement. They were eating in silence as usual, but Mirai was not bothered as she used to be. And it did not go unnoticed by Ryosuke.

"You seem happy," Ryosuke remarked after they finished eating.

"Oh, it's nothing," she said, her smile had not faded.

Ryosuke raised a brow and Mirai saw it.

"Well," she resumed, "I am remembering something nice."

Sensing that Mirai would not tell the truth fully, Ryosuke brought up another subject.

"About last night, how could you be there with them?"

Mirai cheerfully answered, "Oh, they asked me to come."

"They were bothering you," Ryosuke remarked. "Forgive their thoughtlessness."

"No. I mean, it was not a bother. They are nice after all. And it's been a long time for me to do a birthday surprise like that. It was fun."

Fun? Ryosuke eyed her. So, he concluded, she is not only naïve and careless, but also childlike.

"Ah," she exclaimed suddenly, "May I ask you something?"

"You're doing that." Ryosuke folded his arms and leaned back to his chair.

She let out a small giggle, "Oh, right. Then, may I know who Chii is?"

Again, Ryosuke raised a brow.

"Nakajima-kun and the others were talking about him last night."

Ryosuke noticed the change in honorific Mirai used to address Yuto.

"It's alright if you don't want to..."

"Chinen Yuri." Ryosuke cut her off.

Mirai stared at him for a short while. "Oh!"

"Seem you know him," Ryosuke said.

"Hmm, not really. It's just that my brother...," Mirai stopped midway. She suddenly felt a pain squeezed her heart.

"What?"

Mirai shook her head. "Nothing. It's just that my brother is courting his sister."

"Ami-san?"

"Yes."

The light atmosphere between them became heavier and Ryosuke noticed it.

"I will go for a short campaign next week." He said to shift the topic.

Mirai looked up to him.

"It may last for a month for the longest. What do you want?"

Mirai was confused, "What do I want?"

"Do you want to go with me or stay here?"

Her eyes widened, "I can go?"

"There is no rule said that you can't."