Chapter 12: Willing to Believe

The third morning after their arrival came. Mirai yawned lazily. It would be the last day of her stay in Shida manor. Her smile appeared. The dreadful visit had turned out to be a family reunion, thanks to that crazy scenario Ryosuke played out. Remembering him, she looked around the chamber. Once she did not find the person, she frowned.

He did not return again last night.

Ryosuke had been missing every night. He always said that he had to do something and would return later. He did return, but only in the morning after. She had wondered where he was sleeping the last three nights.

Was he avoiding her again? Why should he? She thought that after the birthday surprise, something had changed between them. At least, he had been a bit more talkative. Or he might felt uncomfortable to stay in the same chamber with her? He could just tell her about that. And it was not like they never encounter the same problem before. So, why should he feel uncomfortable?

The questions went on until Mirai ruffled her hair in annoyance. He was just too mysterious. And he is just unpredictable. She remembered her conversation the evening after her sudden sparring with Ryosuke.

"Are you alright?" Hikaru asked after sheathing his sword. He reached out to Mirai and pulled her to her feet.

Still in her trance, Mirai could only nod.

"Did he hurt you?" Hikaru searched for any sign of wound on her.

Mirai shook her head. "No."

Hikaru eyed the sword on her hand. "Whose sword is that?"

"It's mine, Sir," a third voice suddenly spoke. Yuto had approached them to retrieve his sword. Mirai handed it to him without any word.

"Your prince was so careless! How could he attack Mirai when she was not ready?" Anger was still evident in Hikaru's voice.

Mirai shot her head up, surprised that her brother took the scene wrong. "Nii-chan..."

"Please don't misunderstand His Highness' intention, Sir. He only did it to help." Yuto defended.

"Who..."

"It's alright, Nakajima-kun," Mirai interrupted Hikaru. "I will explain it to my brother."

Yuto bowed and left them after that.

"Nii-chan."

Hikaru turned to her, the fierce still in his eyes but now tinted with confusion. "I don't understand. What would attacking you be a help?"

"But it did help."

"Who?"

"Us."

Hikaru blinked. "Us?"

Mirai put her arms around Hikaru. Hikaru tensed all of a sudden.

"Thank you, Nii-chan."

"For what?" He was confused.

"For not deceiving me all this time. I thought that all your care was just a lie when you... when that happened."

Understanding what she referred to, Hikaru analyzed the recent event. After put it together, he finally caught up. "So, that's why he asked me to come here. What happened just now was done purposely for this?"

Mirai pulled away and looked up to her brother, smiling. "It seemed that he did it so we could make up."

Seeing Mirai smiled, Hikaru realized how long it had been since the last time he saw her smile like that.