Queen Anne led the way into the room and her daughter followed wordlessly. Inside, King James sat in conversation with a man whose face Addie seemed to know from somewhere but just couldn't place. He rushed to stand when he saw them. He seemed eager to please, she thought, though she showed nothing on her face but a hint of a frown. She had never been particularly fond of boot-lickers. Her boots in particular remained clean, but plenty of her most manipulative classmates tried – and managed – to get into their teachers' good books.

"Your Majesty," he greeted hurriedly, bowing to the Queen. "It is so good to see you again. You look well."

"Yes, thank you; it has been a while, Lord Westbrook." She nodded, a ghost of a smile on her face. This struck Addie as being very odd – she was so used to her mother being the sort of woman who would beam at the lowest peasant on the street. Her tone of voice, too, was different than she was used to; more...queenly. "The last I saw you must have been when you introduced your nephew to me."

"Oh, yes. It was." He nodded. "How has he been?"

She smiled. "Very good. Adelaide enjoys their lessons together very much."

Are they talking about—? Despite her curiosity, Addie knew not to speak until she had been spoken to.

"Then I'm glad he's been of service," the nobleman said.

"Westbrook," his monarch cut into the conversation. "I'd like you to meet my daughter, Adelaide. Adelaide – this is Duke Stephen Westbrook, a very prominent member of my court."

He turned to her with a broad grin, bowing deeply. "Your Highness. It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

Your Highness. For a split second her mind failed to register that he was referring to her.

"The pleasure is mine, Your Grace." She curtsied only slightly, remembering that her station was now above the duke's, and King James looked pleased. He invited everyone to sit, and they did.

"Princess Adelaide." Westbrook sounded the title out. "Indeed, a beautiful name for a worthy young lady."

"Thank you, Duke Westbrook." She remained thoroughly unimpressed by his flattery. "Forgive my ignorance, but—Mr Williams is your nephew?"

"Oh, yes, he is," he said. "I must apologise, it rather slipped my mind that no one had told you yet. I hope you've found your lessons with Charles useful."

"I have," she said quickly. "But pray, my lord, if you are nobility then surely he must be, too?"

"Charles is indeed an earl," he confirmed. "But he's left the affairs of Arbough in my care to pursue his studies and teaching. He's always been fairly...free-spirited."

"I see," she said. "Nonetheless, I do wonder why he does not go by Earl Arbough."

The duke shrugged, and Addie saw something like distaste in his eye. "Our Charles has never been one for titles."

"No, I suppose not."

"Adelaide." Her father called her back to attention. "I called you here tonight because I was thinking that you might have Duke Westbrook as your private secretary."

She turned to face him, her face betraying nothing save for a pleasant raise of her eyebrows. "Oh."

"He is very accomplished," King James went on. "His duchy is one of the wealthiest in the kingdom, second only to Couronne. He set up excellent courts, and law-and-order is top-notch."

"How very impressive," she said, but it was impossible to tell if she meant it. She paused for a moment before speaking again. "Your Grace, tell me about poverty in your duchy."