4. Family Ties

Over the past few days, I heard a lot about some ball that was some sort of a tradition in Mystic Falls. I enjoyed dressing up and being the prettiest girl in the room. It reminded me of simpler times and I was willing to go to the ball.

"Matt!" I called him and watched as he turned to me. Matt's blue eyes brightened at my sight and I could feel my heart beating faster. "Are you going to the Founder's Ball?" I asked.

The handsome boy nodded. "Yeah. I used to go with Elena every year so I guess I'll have to ask someone else."

I smiled at him and raised my eyebrow. "Actually, I was going to ask you to escort me. I really wanna go but it seems depressing going alone."

Matt and I started walking towards the Mystic Grill. "Sure, we can go together. You're always fun to hang out with."

"It's a date!" I kissed his cheek and entered the diner. I'm such an idiot! It's a date?

Once I got inside the Grill, I saw Bonnie and Caroline sitting on a booth and decided to join them. "Amelia!" Caroline called me. "Wanna sit with us?"

"Sure." I smiled and sat next to Bonnie. "Matt is escorting me to the ball." I smiled and the girls grinned.

Caroline flipped her golden hair. "Well, I'm going with Damon Salvatore."

Bonnie rolled her eyes. "I don't think Damon is the right choice for you, Care. I mean, he's older and kinda sketchy. You can do so much better."

"Damon is perfectly safe. He only has issues with Stefan because of Katherine." Caroline defended him.

I held Caroline's hand and stared into her blue eyes. "Do you really care about Damon?"

Caroline gazed into my eyes. "He's fun to be around." Damon's compulsion was too strong for me to get inside her mind.

Bonnie glanced between the two of us and turned to Caroline. "What about the secret he told you about Stefan?"

"I promised Damon I wouldn't tell." The blonde girl then smirked and started whispering. "It involves Katherine and how Stefan became super jealous of them."

My mind went blank as soon as Caroline revealed the secret. I think Damon is manipulating Caroline into feeling sorry for him, but maybe that's why he keeps searching for Katherine. He's truly in love with her and believes Stefan is an obstacle.

***

It was time to get ready for the Founder's Ball, so Bonnie and I headed to Elena's house since Caroline had a date with Damon. And by date, I mean he was going to feed on her. "Hey!" Elena greeted us and we all went upstairs to her room.

Bonnie started doing her hair, while I helped Elena with her makeup. "Caroline told us Damon's secret." She started.

"I thought we weren't gonna tell Elena." I scolded Bonnie.

The Bennett girl sighed. "Elena deserves to know how Stefan is really like."

Elena stared at us and then stood up. "Can you just tell me what's going on?" She was clearly anxious.

Bonnie took a deep breath and looked at Elena's brown eyes. "Damon told Caroline that Katherine picked him over Stefan and that Stefan did everything to break them up."

I nodded. "But look, maybe it was just a mistake. I mean, when we're in love, we do the craziest stuff. Doesn't mean that Stefan is a bad guy."

Elena sat down and sighed. "I think that's just Damon's side. Every story has two sides."

Bonnie and I shared a look before going back to getting ready for the ball. I put on my green dress with long lace sleeves. My hair was down and wavy and my makeup was light, of course I had to put on my signature red lipstick. Matt was already waiting for me. He looked so great in his black tux. So handsome!

***

Matt and I arrived at the Founder's Ball at the same time as Damon and Caroline. "You're here!" Clearly, I sounded incredulous.

Caroline raised an eyebrow. "I told you I was coming with Damon, silly."

I nodded and walked with Matt to the living room. Everyone was chatting and smiling, pretending like their lives were perfect. "Would you like to dance?" My escort asked me.

"I would love to." I answered as I took Matt's hand and we danced to a slow song that was on. He was so dreamy but I knew he was still in love with Elena, despite my attempts to distract him from those unwanted feelings. "Are you having fun?"

Matt looked at me. "To be honest, I would have been happier if Elena was dancing with me."

My smile faded and I let go of his grip. "Then go find her and ask her to dance." I left the dancefloor and saw Damon gazing at a crystal that was exposed at the Heritage display. I knew I'd seen that crystal before, I just couldn't remember where.

After walking further, I found Bonnie alone in the dining room. "Are you alright?" I asked her.

Bonnie smiled at me. "Yeah, I just needed to be alone."

I sat next to her and placed my hand on my chin. "Matt told me he would rather be here with Elena than with me."

"What a jerk!" Bonnie stated and I couldn't help but laugh.

A breeze came through the open window and blew the candles out. "Wanna see a cool trick?" I smirked as I looked at Bonnie. She raised an eyebrow as I closed my eyes and focused on the candle in front of me. When I opened my eyes, the candle was lit and Bonnie gasped.

"How did you do that?" My friend asked, still shocked and slightly confused.

I placed a candle in front of her and looked into her green eyes. "Well, I didn't tell you this before because I wasn't sure if I should, but after noticing how accurate you were about Tanner's death and all the bad vibes you were getting I decided to show you my powers."

Bonnie kept staring at me. "You're a witch?"

"Yeah." I smiled. "And I know you can do what I just did if you focus hard enough. This could be the first step to increasing your powers."

The Bennett witch stared at the candle for a while, until it lit up. "I did it!" She smiled brightly and we hugged. "I actually did it!"

The crystal that Damon was coveting belonged to a Bennett witch. I remembered once I touched Bonnie and felt it. If he wants that crystal it means he intends to use magic for something big, so I must get it before he gets a chance to use.

***

After teaching Bonnie on some easy magic tricks, I heard a commotion outside and walked towards it. Stefan was standing beside Damon's unconscious body. "What happened?" I questioned the younger Salvatore.

He looked at me and smirked. "I spiked Caroline's drink with vervain and waited for Damon to feed on her so I can restrain him."

"What is your plan?"

"I intend on putting him inside the cellar that Zach uses to store vervain." Stefan explained.

I got down on one knee and caressed Damon's forehead. "He can find a way to get out and come at you." Then I stood up and smirked. "Unless I put a spell on the cellar to make sure he can't escape."

Stefan looked at me with a quizzical expression. "You're a vampire. You can't do magic." He pointed out.

I raised an eyebrow. "Stefan, I'm a very special vampire. Basically, I come from a long line of peculiar witches who can retain their powers afte being turned into vampires. Trust me!"

Stefan grabbed Damon and the two of us headed to the Salvatore boarding house, where he and Zach locked Damon in the cellar. I prepared the spell and started chanting while the Salvatores watched. When the spell was done, I smiled at them and left the mansion. For now, Damon was unable to hurt anyone else and Caroline was safe. Now was my chance to get the damn crystal.