Chapter Seventeen -- Lóng

Mrs. Weasley did indeed do everything she could to make Storm see life at the Burrow as amazing compared to the Dursleys -- but Storm could see beneath the mask. Instead of delicious feasts, warm compliments, and lack of chores, he saw the lack of affection for and the abusing of Ron and the twins. Mrs. Weasley could pretend to give Storm all the love in the world, and he could see her hatred and disgust.

Mr. Weasley was an odd one. He was absent a lot, usually at work, but even when he was at home, he acted distant and disinterested. Storm assumed it was because he really didn't care about what was going at home, but there was a vacancy in his eyes that suggested something more sinister.

About a week after he arrived at the Burrow, the letters from Hogwarts came. Storm opened his while Ron shoveled down two pieces of toast.

Second-Year Students Will Require:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 2), by Miranda Goshawk

Break with a Banshee, by Gilderoy Lockhart

Gadding with Ghouls, by Gilderoy Lockhart

Holidays with Hags, by Gilderoy Lockhart

Travels with Trolls, by Gilderoy Lockhart

Voyages with Vampires, by Gilderoy Lockhart

Wanderings with Werewolves, by Gilderoy Lockhart

Year with the Yeti, by Gilderoy Lockhart

"What's with all the Lockhart books?" asked Ron through a bite of toast.

"That lot won't come cheap," George said quietly.

"Well, we'll manage," Mrs. Weasley responded briskly. "I expect we'll be able to pick up a lot of Ginny's things secondhand."

Storm remembered that the woman pretended to be poor, as Mr. Weasley's job didn't pay well.

Ginny glanced at him, and Storm ignored her. He knew she expected him to ask her if she was starting school that year, but there was no way he was going to speak to her if he could help it.

"Morning, all," Percy said pompously as he marched into the kitchen. "Lovely day." He made to sit down across from Storm but immediately leaped up again, picking up a very old gray owl.

"Errol!" Ron exclaimed, as Percy shoved the owl at him. "Finally -- he's got Hermione's answer. I wrote to her saying we were going to try and rescue you from the Dursleys." He opened it and began to read aloud:

"'Dear Ron, Fred, George, and Harry if you're there,

"'I hope everything went all right, that Harry is okay, and that you didn't do anything illegal to get him out, you three, because that would get Harry into trouble, too. I've been really worried and if Harry is all right, will you please let me know at once, but perhaps it would be better if you used a different owl. I think another delivery might finish your one off.

"'I'm very busy with schoolwork, of course, and we're going to London next Wednesday to buy my new books. Why don't we meet in Diagon Alley?

"'Let me know what's happening as soon as you can. Love from, Hermione.'"

"Is that all right, Mrs. Weasley?" Storm asked her as he ate his second piece of toast.

"Yes, that fits in nicely," Mrs. Weasley agreed, "we can go and get all your things next Wednesday. What are you all up to today?"

"I promised to help Ron finish his Potions essay," Storm responded.

Mrs. Weasley gave Ron a stern look, and the boy stifled a flinch. "You were supposed to have finished your homework in the first week of the holidays, Ronald."