Trying to get a life again

"Swept away" written by VeGirl 2014 © All Rights Reserved

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The flight back to Sweden had been a nightmare. Isa was stuck in a void, a black hole where all she could feel was how she had hurt Morgan, and she knew that she had to endure that pain every day, every hour and every second.

She was in her own personal bubble of pain, totally unaware of the person sitting next to her no the flight or the time. Even if her stomach was rumbling from hunger, all she could do was pick at the food with no appetite.

It was as if everybody else was rushing around in the airport with their bags and Isa walked in slow motion like in a film or something. Her entire world was muted, everything was a distant hum and Isa felt separated.

Her room in the house where Isa had lived for the last two years wasn't available anymore and she didn't want to move back to her old hometown; risking running into a gloating ex boyfriend. There was only one option left and that was why Isa ended up outside Wilma's door with bags in her hands and tears in her eyes.

"Isa?" Wilma said surprised. "What did he do?" she barked with her eyebrows knit together.

"I think I broke up with him." Isa started to cry and Wilma wrapped her in her arms. "I couldn't take it anymore, and now I don't have anywhere to stay."

"You're staying here!" Wilma said firmly and Isa was so grateful to have her as a friend.

She helped Isa with her bags and they sat down on the couch where Wilma forced the whole truth out of Isa. "So he didn't do you wrong then?"

"No, but somebody started to send me photos of him together with different women, and even if I wanted to think they were fake, I still got hurt." Isa admitted.

"And they were fake?"

She glared at her friend. "Yes, they were fake. He wasn't cheating on me." Isa was actually quite surprised of the intensity with which she defended him. Perhaps she had been premature in her decision to leave.

Wilma just watched her with one of her eyebrows raised.

"Why don't you like him?" Isa asked baffled.

"I do like him, I'm just being precautious."

They just stared at one another.

"Are you gonna tell me what happened between you and Robert?"

"Not today," Wilma answered and Isa knew it was no use in trying to probe further.

~ ~ ~

At first Isa was tucked in on Wilma's sofa bed, but every night her nightmares kept both of them up. Finally Wilma decided it was better if Isa just slept in her bed. It was wide enough for the both of them. "That way I can go back to sleep again." Almost every night she had to wake Isa up before they could fall back to sleep again.

Wilma had kept her part time job at the bookstore and had got some last minute course at the University where she studied creative writing now. Isa had no idea Wilma had ambitions to be a writer, but her friend told the story of how it had been a secret dream of hers for some time. It was amazing that she really had applied and got in.

Isa was proud of her.

But when Wilma asked about Isa's plans, she came up blank.

"You have to eat! Come on, you and me are going down to that pizzaplace downtown." Wilma was constantly on her case, and Isa was so grateful as the days rolled by.