Chapter 2 - Taking Fate Into Her Own Hands

Narrator's POV

Enhanced senses only meant one thing in the hours that followed, Kara knew they couldn't save her before Alex had even gathered the courage to come and tell her. She was too late, they both were in their own respects. By the time Alex did actually come out, her sister was already at the poor woman's bedside. Alex walked in, in time to hear the one-sided conversation, out of respect she stayed by the door.
"So apparently my word doesn't mean much. I should've saved you but I didn't, I shouldn't have even put you in that position in the first place. I'm sorry Lena. I didn't want to lose you and now I don't know what to do without you. Why did you have to go? Why not me? It should've been me." The circumstances were really messing with Kara's head, she hadn't even realised her sister was nearby until she started asking questions.
"So he's dead, did you know that?"
"I'm smarter than you think, remember that." Physics was simple.
"You killed him intentionally?" Sometimes a rhetorical question is needed to clarify, this was one of those times.
"What else was I supposed to do? He killed Lena and many civilians, I wasn't just going to let the man hurt anyone else and it's not like we had any other way to take him down. I wasn't going to do nothing."
"You could've waited." Alex, never the voice of reason unless Kara was the one who needed advice or something of the like.
"I was trying to save Lena's life and the only thing I regret was that I didn't take him down sooner." A few years ago Supergirl had killed Reign and regretted it so much that she went back in time to fix it and in doing so created an alternate timeline where Red Daughter was created and gave Supergirl new powers. Where was that regret, that humanity now?
"Kara's this isn't you." Of all the things the director of the DEO could've said, this wasn't on the top 5 list. No one completely knows a person and loss can completely change someone, she should know.
"You don't know me so don't pretend to. You know happy Kara, human Kara." This was what crossed the line and finally got Kara to turn away from the dead body. There was absolutely no hesitation in her movements as she strode over to stand in front of her sister, the woman who she had looked up to for many, many years. The lack of remorse on her face was what caused Alex to take a step back with every pace closer her best friend got until she hit a wall. "I have lived 13 years on a different planet, 24 in space and about 16 on this planet and I have lost the two things that are more important to me than anything else in this universe. For goodness' sake, I've spent more time in the phantom zone than on either planet, I had some time to get to know myself there, too. There isn't always another way. You killed my aunt, Krypton exploded and there was no way to save my girlfriend. Some people have to die. Shit happens, so let it go." Alex hadn't feared her sister since the Red Kryptonite incident. That time there was a chemical making her that way. This was way worse, this was Kara.

Never had the multiverse seen Kara as broken as she was after the incident. To the outside world, she was cooped up in her apartment, ignoring everyone and everything, if only they knew. She'd tried time travel. Clark had warned her never to do it but he'd done it to save the woman he loved and now it was her turn. She'd flown up, and around the Earth, turning back time to the day it happened. There was no end to the list of what she was willing to try to get Lena back. It was so hard going back to an apartment where they had shared so many memories and important moments in both their lives. Anytime Kara had tried to sleep her heart would just hope to hear that door open, hope to hear her voice calling Kara's name. She didn't sleep.

For the first couple of days, she was just numb. Everything around her was the same but different. The coffee shop they went to every morning gave her two coffees as usual, what was she supposed to do with the other one? Without even thinking, she'd flown it home. Maybe her heart dropped a little when she called a name to get no answer. After staring at the wall for a little while, trying to keep those damn tears away, she heard her own name being called.