liar ♡ thirty one

"Imperfect child! You're not mine! Yuta is not your brother!" Mom yelled at me, at saka ako pinaghahampas ng hawak niyang parasol.

I kept crying, telling her to stop, kaya lang ay ipinagpapatuloy pa rin niya. I knew na after this, mapupuno nanaman ng mga pasa ang katawan ko.

"From now on, you can't call him your nii-chan! You're not siblings! You're cousins!" Sigaw ni mom, and I cried harder.

Nang iwan na ako ni mom with one last hard pull on my hair, nagawa ko nalang ay ang umiyak nang umiyak hanggang sa lapitan ako ni Yuta-nii to make me stop crying.

Mom is a perfectionist. She never accepts anything that is less than perfect in her eyes. Yuta-nii, however, was the apple of her eye back then. At ako? She hated me with all her guts because she couldn't bear me in her tummy when she was supposed to.

She hated herself dahil hindi niya ako kayang ipagbuntis and she can't be perfect for dad, kaya ay ang ginawa niya, she made the doctors take an egg cell and sperm from dad, making her sister take me in her.

That's why she called me imperfect. Dahil sa kanya mismo. She couldn't accept the fact that she couldn't bear me and that her sister was able to give birth to me as a healthy baby. Sa akin niya ibinuntong ang galit niya sa kapatid niya, kahit na wala naman akong nagawa.

That's also why she told me that Yuta-nii and I are cousins, we aren't siblings. I was forced to not call my brother as my own brother, because whenever she heard me call him, malilintikan nanaman ako.

As I grew up, I always believed that I was imperfect. I played the piano to express my emotions, but after she found out, she told me that I sucked so I stopped. I stopped doing everything that I loved, I stopped being bubbly and happy.

Even if I was trying to fit myself into her standards, she wouldn't accept me.

One day, when she got mad at me kahit na nasa public place kami ay sinaktan niya pa rin ako. I was full of bruises, but she never stopped.

Until a little boy stood up for me. It was blurry, but I knew na he tried reasoning out with my mum.

Kahit na sinaktan rin siya ni mum, he kept his ground.

"Shh, I'm here. I'm here," sabi niya sa akin, nang makaalis na si mum.

"I'm imperfect-"

"You're not. Every child is special. I'm here. I promise I won't leave you," he said, and I cried. I then took my necklace off, yung necklace ko na may ring as a pendant, where my japanese name was carved. "You're giving me this?"

"Yes. Please keep it. You saved me. Please stay by my side," sabi ko, and then he nodded.

"I will. I will never leave your side! I promise!"

Dumating naman na si Yuta-nii, and then he led me back home.

But, the next day, I never found the boy anymore. Anywhere. He lied. I was sad, so so sad.

Hindi ko namalayan na nagsisituluan na pala ang mga luha ko dahil sa mga alaala na mga yun. Now, we were finally free. I could still remember na pati si dad ay madalas niyang maltratuhin dahil pinagsasabay kaming kumain ni Yuta-nii.

Fuck, I'm so happy. I'm so happy dahil malaya na kami.

But something occurred to me, nasaan na kaya yung batang lalaki na yun? Is he still in Japan? Mahahanap ko pa kaya siya?

Did he... oh, my God. Did he keep the ring?

"Vernice, what are you thinking about?" Tanong ni dad, and I blinked rapidly.

"This... little boy who saved me before. Nasaan na po kaya siya?" Tanong ko, and then dad smiled.

"If fate allows, he will bring you to him."

I hope, so. I want to say thank you, but at the same time, I wanted to be mad at him because he never did keep his promise. He was a liar.

"You can go home the next day, kids. I'll come with you. I'll be discharged this evening. Let's go home and start a new life, okay?"

I was happy. And sad. Everything.

I felt everything and nothing at all.