A Punch Bowl of Disaster

Start from the beginning

She had azure blue eyes and sky blue hair, even her dress was blue and white. She was simply quite blue, in a literal sense. Flora's hair was in plaited pigtails, which looked surprisingly good on her.

"Indeed she is. Ava."

"Yes, Young Miss?"

"Do go get us some punch while we go talk to them."

"Of course."

I gave Ophelia and Jane a bow before making my way through the various people in the ballroom before coming upon the refreshment table. It was as extravagant as you could expect a refreshment table at a school for young nobility. At least nothing was alcoholic. That would make the party more interesting, but it would completely ruin my opinion of the school staff and the parents.

Getting punch was supposed to be an easy job, supposedly. It seems that I underestimated people's attraction to pretty things. Especially adolescents with stupid hormones and puberty occurring. I'm left alone for a short period of time and noble ladies are all over me like white on rice. All I need to get is punch, all I need to get is punch, all I need to get is punch- Jesus whose perfume is that? It's so strong that I might throw up.

"Pardon me but why are you wearing a suit instead of a dress? Not that you don't look dashing in it!"

All I need is punch.

"It'd be unusual for a lady's escort to not be wearing a suit, Miss."

One cup of it has been secured.

"Would you mind sharing a dance with me?"

Two cups have been secured.

"I apologize, but my first dance is reserved for Miss Dubannes."

Three cups have been secured.

"Are you truly a maid? You look just as noble as any other gentlemen in the room."

There's no way in hell that I'll be getting Carole punch and I'm not thirsty. Off we go.

"I am indeed. Although I hate to leave our chats unfinished, Miss Dubannes is expecting me with refreshments. Do excuse me."

With that said I somehow maneuvered my way through dresses with way too many layers and suffocating perfumes to make my way to Ophelia and the other ladies. Of all the things I've gone through, honestly the most uncomfortable but not the worst. Finding them all had been easy, diffusing the situation was not.

"I dare you to repeat what you just said!"

"I said it once, I'll say it again. What right do you have to speak to Ophelia like that, Millstone! Apologize this instant!"

"I won't apologize for speaking the truth."

Damn it. I quickly gave the drinks I had gone through pains to get to surrounding party-goers and made my way quickly over to the yelling of Carole and Jane. Things were escalating quickly for whatever reason.

"Truth? Truth?! The only truth that I can see is that your manners are no better than a stubborn mule's! What a shame the Millstone family has to deal with such a daughter!" Jane had practically screamed this, giving Carole a taunting grin. Flora and Ophelia looked as clueless as I was. And Carole? Carole was fuming.

"You, you!"

Carole's face had gone a familiar shade of red. The one of enraged embarrassment and her hand raised. Is this idiot really about to slap Jane? Does she want to start a blood feud between the two dynasties? Ugh. My body had already moved before my mind could.

SMACK!

"Ava!"

Hm. That didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. My cheek was for sure a red color, and it did sting quite a bit. But it didn't break any skin. The room had gone silent. I turned my head back around calmly and faced a shocked Carole.