Chapter Thirty-One

I'm getting Bobby & Maura feels and now I officially hate myself. I used to have so much to say here, but now I have no idea what to even say anymore. I'm still in shock with how many people are reading this now and y'all are freaking me out. I don't know if I'm pleasing you or not, but thanks for sticking with me anyways! I hope you have a nice day today and remember Narry during the Four Hangout if you're ever feeling sad.

⌛ ⌛ ⌛

NIALL

After waiting for half an hour or so since Zayn departed from the guest room, I checked the grandfather clock on the opposite side of the room, and noted that it was approximately eight o'clock. Deciding that the coast was clear, I slowly sat up on the bed, lightly gripping my head as a noxious feeling washed over me.

I shivered as I wrapped a blanket tightly around my body; even though I was so cold, I couldn't stop sweating. Once I had finally gained enough confidence, I pushed myself off of the bed and began walking around the room, making sure that my fever wasn't going to become a hindrance to my escape.

This time around, I was much more cautious in my preparation process; luckily for me, it appeared that somebody had left their survival pack behind in the guest room. Deeming that the pack did not have enough room for other essentials—such as food and an extra few pairs of dry socks—I made a makeshift shoulder bag with one of the shirts that were draping on the footboard of the bed.  

I pulled on my own coat, and another one that I had found in the dresser, before rolling up a thin blanket and sandwiching it between my back and the survival pack. I quickly glanced around the room one last time to see if there was anything I could bring along before I inched my way over towards the door.

Pulling the door open just a peep, I scanned the hallway for any servants before I made a dash for the other side of the building—which had a pretty extensive balcony.

Upon my arrival, I peered over the edge and caught a glimpse of the ground below; my heart began to pound against my chest as I feared for the worse. Jumping down the balcony was perhaps the only way I could make it out of here unnoticed. I began to sweat profusely as I gritted my teeth together.

"Don't be a fucking wimp," I mumbled, kicking the stone railing roughly in frustration. I removed my makeshift bag, blanket, and survival pack and threw them down the balcony first before I carefully swung my body over the railing and clung onto the bars for dear life. I made the mistake of looking down, and I almost felt like throwing up.

I tried to drown out my fears, by recalling the memory of Liam catching me when I fell from the gate at his house, but I knew that there wasn't anybody below me, and I had just made a terrible, rash decision—one that my fear of heights was not too keen of.

My feet tried to keep me planted on what little ledge was on the outer side of the balcony, but for the most part, my arms were on their own; along with the slight fever that I just so happened to have, my strength was dramatically decreased, and yes, I was just dying.

"You're already halfway there. Come on, Niall," I hissed, closing my eyes in an attempt to calm myself down. I was almost in tears at this point because I knew I needed to jump, but I was just so scared. Two floors was a long way down and my ankle had just healed; I didn't know how well I was going to do.

I took one last deep breath before I allowed my legs to give from beneath me; so there I was, hanging from the balcony with no idea what I was going to do next. Eventually, I slid my hands slowly down the railing, praying all the while that they wouldn't slip completely off.