Chapter Two

NIALL

"Niall," a voice called from downstairs. The aroma from the kitchen was now making its way into my bedroom, reminding me of how I had skipped dinner last night.

I groaned as I lifted my head, which rather unfortunately fell back onto the desk from the lack of effort to keep it up. I rolled my head over to face the door and groaned.

"What is it, mum?" I called back tiredly, hoping it was loud enough for her to hear. My eyes were still glued shut and I had no intention of opening them any time soon.

"Time for school, darling!" she replied. The sound of banging pots and pans soon followed and a very loud yelp echoed through the house.

My eyes snapped open as I turned to look at the alarm clock. 7:45. Crap.

I glanced down at my history notes. No.

I had one only section outlined when we were supposed to outline the entire chapter. I began banging my head against the desk in frustration. Man was I dead.

I scurried over to my closet and pulled out a faded pair of black jeans, a white t-shirt, and a red knitted jumper. Despite wanting to show up to school in nothing but my sweats lazily stuffed in my boots and a jumper from the thrift shop, I still had to attempt to look half decent if I even wanted a side glance from Louis. A boy could only dream.

"Aren't you going to have any breakfast?" mum asked as I sprinted past the kitchen and straight for the front door. I sloppily laced my boots on and reached for my coat.

"I can't mum," I whined, pulling on my coat. "I'm going to be late for school!" I quickly pecked her cheek and sprinted out the door, faster than she could open her mouth to protest.

I started running as fast as my feet could carry me. There was no way I was going to make it to school on time. It normally would take seven minutes to get to school by car alone; there was no way I could get there in under ten minutes, and on foot I must add.

⌛ ⌛ ⌛

8:13

I sighed as I made my way up to the administration office to retrieve a tardy slip. I really need to stop forgetting to turn on my alarm clock.

"Oh hey," a voice called out from behind me. For a second, I wasn't sure if the person was talking to me or not, but there wasn't a single soul in sight so it was highly likely that the person was attempting to converse with yours truly.

As I am not the master of socialization, I was reluctant address the speaker and engage in conversation. Deciding it was rude to ignore the fellow, I slowly turned to face the stranger and came face to face with none other than Liam Payne.

"Hi," I smiled, arching my eyebrow slightly in question. The last time I checked, popular jocks like Liam didn't talk to the normal kids like me.

Despite of that, we began walking to the administration office together. I could tell that he had been running too by the way his body was completely drenched in sweat. I felt a bit sorry for him because sweat and winter were two things that just shouldn't mix.

"Did you wake up late?" I asked, pulling my mittens snuggily onto my hands. Since we were walking together, I mind as well attempt to initiate conversation.

"Not necessarily," he replied, slowing his pace to match mine. "My car broke down a while back and I had no choice."

"How unfortunate," I laughed. Secretly, I was jealous that he had a car; I mean, walking everywhere kind of stinks. Darn rich kids.