Partners

*John*

I'm staring off out the window again, brought back from my thoughts by someone knocking over a thermos. The clang is enough to make me jump, accidentally shoving my binder off my desk, and the noise draws a glare from Mr. Sheppard. He finishes listing off partners, rather quickly, so we can start our lab.

"Molly and Irene. Jim and Sebastian. Is there anyone I missed?"

Sherlock raises his hand timidly, and I realise that no one comes to grab me, meaning I am also partnerless.

"I don't think John has a partner yet either sir."

"Well then I think that makes you two partners now doesn't it?"

I stand, gathering my papers, and nearly drop them all again when I realise that Sherlock has crossed the room and is now standing beside me.

"Shall we?"

He already has our lab equipment pulled out and set up, measuring out the chemicals by the time I have my gloves and goggles pulled on.

"Weigh this."

I take the dish from him, setting it down on the balance and start to move the weights around as Sherlock starts lighting our Bunsen burner. He holds out a hand for the dish I'm holding, taking it carefully and placing it over the flame.

"Now we wait till it starts burning."

Sherlock starts scribbling stuff down in his notebook, brow creased in frustration when he realises we can't finish the experiment without something he forgot in the supply room.

"I'll get it, you watch the burner."

He nods, hardly looking up as I walk around the counter and into the back room. I start digging through one of the drawers, starting to grow frustrated when I see there aren't very many tubes left without cracks or missing parts. Mr. Sheppard comes into the back after a few minutes, looking irritated at my lack of attention to the basket of preselected materials on the table in front of me.

"I'd suggest you hurry up and finish your work John. You boys are on a time constriction after all."

"Of course. I was just-"

Something loud crashes in the next room, followed by shouting loud enough to draw the attention of the neighbouring classes by the time Mr. Sheppard and I are even out of the supply room.

"What is going on in here?"

I scan the room quickly, noticing how much blood is on some of the students. My eyes are drawn instantly to our counter, where Sherlock is now frantically trying to put out the fire that has already claimed our notebooks and half of the instruction sheet. The glassware is shattered entirely, shards have flown even so far as to rest at my feet now, entirely across the room. He has a nasty cut running across his cheek, blood dripping down the side of his face and onto his previously pristine white shirt. Mr. Sheppard grabs the fire extinguisher, putting out the fire and turning to Sherlock to figure out what exactly happened. Sherlock doesn't answer him, but instead sinks slowly to the floor against the counter. His eyes have a glossy look to them, stare unfocused and breathing uneven.

"John, get him down to the nurse..."

Mr. Sheppard starts barking out instructions to some of the other injured people, starting to clean up the mess before I have reached Sherlock's side.

"Hey. Sherlock, come on."

He doesn't respond, gaze still stuck to the floor in front of him. Panic attack, clearly.

"I'm going to stand us up, okay? Just work with me and I'll get you down to the nurse."

He nods weakly, finally risking a glance over at me when I move to his side. I slip an arm around his waist, making sure his arm is over my shoulder before we stand.

"Just walk with me. Lean on my side. You can put more of your weight on me Sherlock, it's fine."

The shift doesn't add much of a struggle, and as we begin walking down the corridor it becomes apparent that he is leaning on me fully. I wrap an arm around his waist to add a second layer of support, drawing a sharp gasp from Sherlock.

"What was that?"

"None of your concern."

I jump at the sudden voice, turning to see it's owner. A tall, silver haired boy stands just slightly to our left, strolling over to us quickly.

"What happened to him?"

"I don't think he's your problem right now. Besides, he needs proper medical care. If not, at least a quiet place to sit down."

He backs down rather quickly, pulling his mobile out of his hoodie pocket and messaging someone as he disappears around the corner. We make it to the corridor with the nurses office, where the door is already propped open.

"Come on in. Mr. Sheppard already called and told me you were coming. John dear, you can go back to class. Thank you for making sure he got here okay."

I nod, making sure Sherlock is sitting down on one of the chairs before I leave. The door has just barely clicked shut behind me when someone blocks my path back down the corridor. It's the boy from earlier, plus a taller red haired boy who seems to have come from nowhere. The taller of the two leans on his umbrella, seeming to study me closely before he speaks.

"What happened to him?"

"I really don't think that's any of-"

He inhales sharply, tipping his head slightly to the left as he begins speaking.

"Oh but of course it is. You see, we have a very...special relationship. Now, I have a great deal of contacts who can make your life miserable for the remainder of your time at this school-"

"Myc...calm down."

The taller boy turns back to me, eyes almost dead as he spits out another threat, which is quickly silenced by his companion.

"Why don't you go check on Sherlock, I'll deal with this one."

He nods, tossing one last glare at me before he slips past me and into the nurses office. I try to move past the other boy, finding myself being shoved back against the wall.

"I'm not going to make a bunch of fancy threats, but I will tell you that if you are the cause of whatever happened to him I will kick your arse."

"I already told you, I don't know what happened. Mr. Sheppard told me to bring him down here."

The boy nods, slowly taking his forearm off of my chest and letting me off the wall. I push past him quickly, almost running back to class in my haste to avoid being harassed by anyone else. By the time I make it back, the mess is already cleaned up, everyone back to working on their lab or class work.

"Did Sherlock get to the nurses office?"

"Yes sir."

Mr. Sheppard nods, handing me an alternate assignment to make up for our ruined lab.

"Make sure you turn this in tomorrow, as well as your normal homework. Don't forget about the project, that is also due tomorrow."

I thank him quickly, scurrying to get my bag packed so I can make the bus on time. As an afterthought, I grab Sherlock's bag, walking briskly out of the room and towards the exit.