Chapter Fifty-One - A Burning Mistake

Start from the beginning

McGonagall wanted to talk to them about the sticking solution incident. Remus didn't want to take control of the situation, too tired to start crying again, and was relieved when Sirius talked instead. He said the same things Remus said before: That he and James were tossing a ball, it went out the window, Sirius, Peter, and Remus went to go look for the ball, and then someone threw the sticking solution out the window at them.

"We didn't see who did it," Sirius finished.

"You have no idea who could have done this?" McGonagall inquired.

"No, Professor," Sirius said, wide-eyed and innocent. Remus marveled over the fact Sirius actually managed to pull the look off, though McGonagall definitely didn't believe him.

"Mr. Potter, did you see anything?"

James folded his hands on his laps, smiling. "No, ma'am. I was watching out the window and when it happened I hurried down to see if I could help them. I never saw who did it."

"And someone else did this," McGonagall said, eyes mostly on Remus who began squirming. He was far too tired for this. "The four of you weren't messing around with the solution yourself?"

"Of course not, Professor!" Sirius exclaimed; James and Peter nodded. "Besides, if we were doing that, we'd have picked someone out to put the blame on."

McGonagall adjusted her glasses and sighed. "Nobody seems to have seen anything, so there isn't much I can do. There's no evidence of who has done this. I'll keep looking into it. If you find out anything please let me know."

"Yes, Professor!" all four chorused, and left her office, James and Sirius grinning at not being in trouble.

"Got away with it!" James whispered as he put his hand out for Remus to high five him which he did without any kind of energy. It made a really pathetic sound. "Hey, you okay? You look really bad."

Remus stuffed his hands in his pockets "Mum's sick again," he said, finding it easier every time he used that lie. "Just worried."

"Is that why you had a nightmare again last night?" Pete asked.

"Y--yeah... I think... I might go visit her today..." Remus answered, trying his best to sound concerned. "Just overnight."

"If there's anything we can do..." James gave Remus an encouraging, friendly look.

Remus smiled. "Thanks."

*

He hadn't really had a chance to talk to Lily since the incident after Potions on Thursday, and in fact suspected she was angry at him for what transpired. She had been a little distant Thursday and Friday at study group though not overtly, so Remus wasn't sure. So at lunch Remus sought out Lily, asking if he could sit with her. For a terrifying, heart-stopping second he thought she might say no. She looked like she was considering it. But then she scooted down a little, so he could slide onto the bench next to her. Lily went back to her conversation with Colgate and Inkwood, about some sort of drama going on with some third year girls. Then when she finished with that, she turned to Remus who had been eating in silence the whole time, giving him a 'well?' look.

"Are you m-mad at me?" he asked. Colgate and Inkwood began giggling at that, and he scowled a little, wishing they weren't there.

"No. I'm furious with your friends, though. They're always bullying Severus. I saw him a little bit ago. He told me what they did this morning. Did you have anything to do with that?"

Remus quickly shook his head. "I don't even kn--know they did anything this morning."

"They sent him--" Lily stopped, looking rather distressed, dropping her voice so she could whisper. "They sent him a bottle of shampoo with stupid instructions!" Remus had to fight to hold back a chuckle and the weird sort of grunty sound that came out did give her a suspicious pause. "It was very mean," she added, in case he was even considering laughing.