I Don't Want To Be Me Anymore

Start from the beginning

"Why are you so nice to me and not anyone else?" Her question caught me off guard.

I pressed my lips together, trying to come up with an answer that didn't necessarily give away my hidden obsession with the girl.

"It's not that I don't appreciate it or whatever but it makes everyone else treat me differently and..."

"Who's treating you differently?" I asked now upset. "And how are they treating you?"

"Well I mean it is kind of unfair..."

"That's not what I asked you, Dianely. Answer me."

The girl looked down at her hands. She clearly didn't want to tattle on anyone and cause what could very well be another dead body splattered on the marble floor.

I opened the gate to meet her and sat beside her on the dirty ground. Her eyes remained focused on the floor and refused to find mine.

With one finger, I lifted her chin so she didn't have a choice but to look at me. Her body was tense, indicating that her uncertainness of my next move left her uneasy.

"How many times do I have to tell you..."

"I know you won't hurt me, your majesty..." she spoke over me.

"Belladonna," I cut her off.

She furrowed her brows.

"The title sounds rather strange coming from you," I said. "Call me Belladonna."

She sighed.

Again not the reaction I wanted. What was I doing wrong? I've given her her own room, taken her out of the castle, offered her a pet. Why doesn't she like me? I've never had this much trouble getting a woman to fall for me. Shouldn't this be easy?

"What makes me different?" Dianely asked.

I was puzzled by her question.

"There must be something. Why do you treat me differently than you do the rest of the maids? Why won't you hurt me, and don't say it's because you don't want to because that doesn't make any sense to me. You are absolutely abusive towards everyone else but you aren't to me and I want to know why. I at least deserve that," she said frustrated.

Abusive? Is that what she thinks of me?

"Belladonna!"

My eyes shot back up towards hers.

"I want an answer!"

"You never answered mine," I said trying not to sound too bitchy.

"Literally everyone is treating me as if I'm sort of teacher's pet. They all hate me and don't see why I get to do basically what I please and they have to live by orders still," she answered.

"You still live by my orders, they just aren't as strict. I made them that way on purpose. To me, you are more than a maid and you should be treated as such. My leniency towards you is no one else's business. They are simply jealous," I said.