Chapter 4: Decrypting

Location: Bermuda Triangle

The Ekat base at the Bermuda Triangle is considered one of the most advanced bases in the world, with its state-of-the art labs and radar jamming systems. Its halls buzzed with Ekat agents clasping documents and experimental space-age gizmos. Its control room was akin to one you would see in sci-fi movies with sprawling screens, indicator lights and switches which monitored every Cahill hotspot in the world. The control room was currently monitoring the progress of the two K-2000s sent to intercept the flight path of flight SH 4372. All eyes were glued to the large screen with two dots signifying the K-2000Bs and the black dots signifying the Madrigal B-2s.

Suddenly a distress call came over the intercom.

"We were destroyed by Madrigal B-2s," said the voice of one of the Ekat pilots.

"We're bailing out in the Atlantic," said the other pilot.

Ekat leader Bae Oh slammed his hand down on his desk, breaking his computer mouse. "Now, would you tell me why we could still lose despite our superior technology!" shouted Bae Oh.

"The pilots were outnumbered six to two, sir," said an Ekat agent as he worked multiple knobs and dials on his control panel. "Even superior technology cannot avoid the capabilities of such a large disadvantage in terms of numbers."

"But we must get that clue," said Bae Oh. "To crush the spirit of the Tomas, our main rival. Send another Ekat team to Volgograd immediately! Someone please volunteer!"

"Okay," said Ekat agent Victor Wood. "I will volunteer to go to Volgograd."

Victor Wood was a rising star in the Ekat branch whose fame began when he was caught conducting top-secret Ekat experiments in his college lab however, instead of being punished by Bae Oh, he was rewarded and recognised for his enthusiasm. Bae Oh had instructed him to lay of his college studies for three weeks to help in the Volgograd effort.

"Assemble a team of four immediately," said Bae Oh. "Victor, you're in charge of this mission. This is your first serious mission. You are free to use any item in the Bermuda Triangle inventory. I want your team to be in Volgograd and ready for action in fifteen hours."

"Copy, Ekat leader," said Victor.

He immediately began jotting down on a notepad his team members and inventory needed. Behind him, Bae smiled, happy at this young agent's enthusiasm and loyalty for the Ekat branch. Of course his thoughts soon turned to Alistair, what he thought as a wasted potential.  

'He would make a much better Ekat leader than my useless nephew Alistair," he thought. 'If it weren't for the Ekat custom of choosing Ekat leader successors from bloodline I would have appointed Victor instead of Alistair as my successor.'

There was still a chance for the Ekats.

Location: Volgograd

The Madrigal taxi reached its destination – a shop with a huge sign that read Madeleine's Electronics. There was no mistaking the name Madeleine, fifth child of Olivia Cahill and founder of the Madrigal branch that would soon become the mother of various peacekeeping organisations. The window displays were filled with cell phones, TVs and other  electronic gadgets.

I stepped in and headed towards a door at the back with the Madrigal emblem emblazoned on it. Surely there should be a fingerprint scanner of some sort? I then saw a small phone duct-taped to the door with its back facing out. I pressed my index finger over the phone's camera. A green light flashed from the LEDs above the door. I pulled open the door and entered, with Amelia trooping in after me.