Chapter 25: Fine Line

Start from the beginning

Robert shakes his head and presses the indentations in his temple with his slender fingers as if he can feel a headache is coming on. "I just don't understand. Why would your sister wish to stay behind? I've given her everything she's ever wanted..she was happy here."

The four of us look at each other, knowing that this would be the part that would send him over the edge. Crispin presses his lips together and shakes his head. "She said she fell in love with her captor Santiago and she now carries his child," he says carefully.

My eyes flicker to the king and I wait for his backlash, for the fuse to run out before he explodes...but he doesn't. Instead, he slowly shakes his head and gives a small, empty laugh.

"Now. You let me explain, son. I specifically noted before your departure that Rose was to be brought back to Paevia and that you were not to return without her. Instead, you four run off, spend my money, take your time and allow my daughter to be violated. You then get yourselves kidnapped and marked for life bringing shame into this family, then when you finally get to Rorik to save her from captivity you decide leave her behind and return to me and what, hope to be rewarded?" he asks. "Do you take me for a fool?"

From an outsiders point of view, I'll admit that the way he spins our journey does sound quite deplorable—if it were true. But we four know that there is more to story and insinuating anything other than that is like a slap in the face. 

"What? No of course not! I'm telling you th-" Crispin begins, but he is quickly cut off by Robert shouting out "GUARDS!" at the top of his lungs.

Suddenly, a horde of men cloaked in golden armor swarm in, weapons at the ready. "Seize the foreigners and take Crispin to his quarters!" the king commands in cold tone. My eyes grow wide as they converge on us, knowing what is next to come. Hands grip my arms and I'm yanked backwards out of my seat which topples over and crashes to the ground. I watch as they do the same to Laria, Crispin and Amiri, handling us without care. 

"That is not what happened! You need to let me explain!" Crispin shouts out as he is dragged away to a doorway to the far left, his arms placed painfully behind his back. His boots skid across the stone floor as he tries with great effort to break free, but it's no use. "Father listen to me, please!" he pleads again.

Robert just shakes his head, uninterested in what his son has to say, and turns to face the guards who restrain us. "Have them ready to be hung tomorrow. In the meantime take them to the tower," he demands coldly.

"What?! On what charges?!" I hear Laria sputter in disbelief. "Unhand me!" she cries out, attempting to push the men off of her.

I catch sight of Crispin through the mass of bodies and call out his name but the door closes behind him just as the words leave my lips. 

With no other choice, I too try to shake off the guards. "Let go of me!" I grunt, twisting my arm away, but his grip is to tight and I end up burning my skin within his palm. I hear Amiri grunt as someone strikes him in the face and my instincts tell me to bite the hand closest to my face, so I do. It's owner shouts out and I catch an elbow to my nose that first sends pain down my body and blood all over the floor.

We are removed from the throne room and hauled down corridor after corridor. Some of the guards bark at those that roam the palace to "move" and "make way" and I am able to catch glimpses of wide-eyed servants as we pass.

Moments later, we arrive at the two heavy wooden doors that separate us from the winding tower which holds the cells. A gruff voice orders the doors to be opened and we are then pulled down the cold stone steps to the prison. As we descend, the damp putrid air fills my lungs once again and a wave of nausea washes over me. I had gotten used to the smell once before, but being away from it for so long and coming back to it is unbearable.