5.3 - PLAN B

Music: THE LOGICAL SONG || At Vance 

"What do you mean a change of plan?" Luke asked Fergus, notably irritated

"I suspected Becky would follow Cain," the hacker announced, surprised his suspicions had played out. "Looks like she has somehow found out his plan."

"She's coming here as well?" Luke's expression changed, a look of exuberant anticipation. 

Fergus nodded. "Yes. She booked her flight and hotel a few minutes ago. She should arrive by seven this evening."

The crack of the vampire's applause made Riley jump. Luke was like a child on Christmas morning; somehow, it was more disconcerting than his lewd behaviour, but the Familiar forced a taciturn countenance. Nonetheless, he felt as though he was in a boarding school for the macabre with no possibility of going home for Christmas at all - just neverending lessons about devious dealings leading, inevitably, to death.

Furthermore, something else didn't feel right - there was an underlying sense of menace. As if being amid a den of vampires wasn't trouble enough!  

Judging by the look on Fergus' face, Riley wondered if even the favoured bloodsucker was aware of anything 'untoward'. He looked mildly perturbed with the clapping, bouncing Luke - if not embarrassed. Then again, to Riley, this whole situation was crazy, impossible, unnatural, so it was easy to start thinking there was more lurking under the surface.

"Well then, let us 'extend an invitation' to her also," Luke announced to the gathered vampires.

Riley caught a glimmer of suspicion in Cole's eyes. The watcher glanced between the two brothers; then, his eyes flitted briefly to Fergus. Luke was still delighted by the recent news, and he didn't seem to notice. "And how do you propose to do that?" Cole asked. Everyone turned to look at him, but he merely shrugged and continued. "If she has hooked onto Cain making his way here, then won't she become suspicious receiving an invitation to the club?" 

Luke calmed, his eyes resting on Cole, a measure of castigation simmering in their hickory depths. "That's exactly why he is aboard," he said gesturing for Riley to stand next to him. Luke put his arm around his Familiar's shoulders, clasping him tight against his side. A small grunt of discomfort escaped Riley. 

Cole pushed himself away from the doorjamb he'd been leaning against and wandered over to Mia who stood beside the antique side-board on the far wall. He shot Riley a sneer as he passed before he met the leader's eyes. "You trust this fiasco of a human?" 

Luke, maintaining his grip on Riley, turned as the watcher moved to the side-board. "As much as I trust you, Cole," he answered, his voice weighted with ambiguous implication.

Cole eyed Luke, impassive, unphased. Then a slow smile stretched the watcher's lips before he turned his attention to Mia who sidled up against him, purring.