Prologue

Please read the Introduction throughly if you haven't already.❗️

~ Prologue ~________________________________________________________Unknown DayOrleans Parish Criminal District CourtNew Orleans, LA

~ Prologue ~
____________________________
Unknown Day
Orleans Parish Criminal District Court
New Orleans, LA

Montrell
09:57 hours

"So....you knew the victim was pregnant during the altercation?" The judge looked over his glasses at him for an answer.

Looking away for his swollen eyes started to grow weary of the bright lights, Montrell answered "yes, your honor" to the question. Before the judge could follow-up, Montrell could feel the tension rising in the room as the judge pushed away the disturbing pictures on his desk. It was too much. Just thinking about the photographs of her also, he bit his lip at the imagery himself.
How could I have hit her.

"And yet– you continued to beat down the woman carrying your unborn child, not stopping until neighbors had to intervene. Sounds like you were purposely trying to harm her, Mr St. John. Am I correct?"

Inhaling dramatically, he lowered his head in shame at his actions, staring blankly at his tightly shackled wrists. Ignoring the lack of proper circulation in his veins, it gave him even more discomfort to hold both his arms in the same position for too long. His bruised eye was throbbing from the harsh hits he took during the transportation process still, but in his head he "got what he deserved". Some would argue he didn't get hit enough for he was a woman beater in the eyes of her family's and the public.
I'm a monster.
A monster no one seen coming.

Sighing  ".....yes" to the question of him purposefully trying to cause harm to her, the taste in his mouth spoiled as he lowered his head yet again. Immediately after his disgusting confession, he heard an uproar in the courtroom behind him. "Lock him up" and "Woman abuser" he heard. Closing his eyes entirely when he heard her bust into a painful sob across the room, his heart ached even more. She cried out in pain for everyone to hear, weighing the hearts of the audience's to turn hostile towards the man who decided to attack her.

Chewing on his lip with his eyes still tightly closed, he started to get emotional just knowing that he...was that man. Hearing her cry, he couldn't bring himself to watch, his watering eyes wouldn't let him. His shackled hands gripped up into fist as anger started to take over. He felt himself crying now.
           It was my fault.
I'm guilty.
It should've been me.

"It should've been me" he told himself crying painfully at the memories of the very night that made him this monster. Those around hime were everything, so just imagine what would happen after losing one to feud he could've prevented if only he didn't shoot first. But then again, it them or him. Inevitable?
I miss him.
I miss her.
I hurt her.
I'm sorry.

"Order! *bangs gable* Order!" The judge constantly banged for silence in the courtroom. Once the crowd settled back in their seats and obeyed the instructions of the judge, she could still be heard trying to get herself together. Still unable to look at the damage he caused, he winced at the sight again for it always haunted him now.

"Mr St. John, your case is a disgusting one. I'm ashamed that men like you are even walking this earth today. And to call yourself a veteran of US Military, it shocks me even more that you...of all...would endanger an unborn child and beat on the woman carrying said child. Domestic Abuse does not sit well with me, so they sent you to the right judge because I'm giving you 3 years in jail. No bail or parole will be posted at this time. Case dismissed and get out of my courtroom"

Trembling from his shaky reaction, tears rained down from his downturned shaped eyes as he felt them tug him away from behind the podium. He hung his head and heard nothing but hatred during his escort out. Led into the hallway, Montrell was manhandled back into his holding cell roughly and pushed inside before they slammed the metal behind him. Instantly after they left, he laid his head up against the cold chipped wall and just sobbed in frustration.

3 years behind bars...
No parole.
No bail.

He never thought he'd see a day.