XV - mum's birthday

Simon's pov:

Looking myself in the mirror I adjusted my denim jacket. Since it will only be a close friend and family I choose to be casual. I smiled to myself. I can’t wait to meet my mum and introduce David to her.

But at the same time thinking of my homophobic father made me uneasy. Not that he can beat me up and lock me in a dark room, like he used to.

“Si…are you still there?” David’s voice woke me up from my dark childhood memories. He sat on the edge of the bed holding the present box we bought for my mother

“huh? Yes…you ready?”

“been waiting for you to get ready. Are we good to go?” he asked enthusiastically

I pulled out a red scarf from my wardrobe “not until you wear this” I said tangling the red piece loosely around his neck “it’s cold outside…by the way you actually look good”

He did look good wearing a baby blue knitted pullover. He smiled and took my hand and shared a short sweet kiss before leaving.

I could saw the mixture of excitement and anxiousness in him as we walked pass the gate. He looked at me in wonder when I first told him I want to formally introduce him as my partner to my mum. He was eager then. I told him briefly what to expect from my father. I think he understand.

“I’ve got you baby boy” I whispered and grasped his hand firmly to assure him I mean it. He looked up to me. He opened his mouth to say something but got distracted when the front door get open.

My mum stood there with a huge smile on her face looking lovely than ever “look who’s here…my son Simon!!!” she exclaimed opening her arms wide open for me “I miss you son” she said pecking on both my cheeks. As expected, her attention quickly got on David “and who is this lovely friend you’ve got?”

“ahermm…” I looked mum and to the person behind her who didn’t even bother to greet me, and introduce “mum, this is my boyfriend David. David this are my parents”

I can see the surprise face on mum; luckily it was not a way of upset. Instead it changed to the previous glimmers eyes “look at him, isn’t he cute” she squealed pinching David both in his cheeks and planting a welcome kiss. David stumbled on the front door clearly not expecting what just happened

I laughed to the two of them. I sighed in relief as initially things went just the way I thought it would be. David smiled nervously “great to finally meet you Mr and Mrs. Cowell…umm here this one’s from da- Si Simon and me” he stuttered handing her a present box

“call me Julie you lovely boy” my mum said with a smile taking the box from his hands “follow me I’ll introduce you to my friends. Feel like this is your own house, no need to feel shy-….” She took David’s hand and they soon disappeared towards the backyard.

I let mum take care of him. I knew she will. All along my father’s eyes were on me, cold and cross. He huffed under a heavy loads and actually left me alone. I was glad that mum choose to ignore him for awhile, especially in front of David. That was what Cowell’s family good at, acting.

I looked around the room, some of my mum friends were there so I felt that nothing dramatic will happen soon.

Actually it turned out to be a fun time, a time to bond with my brother Nicholas. I haven’t seen him quite a long time. We chat keeping up with our lives. I wandered around the house not to look obvious searching for my boy. At last I found him surrounded old ladies.