Ch 16 - Henry's thoughts

Start from the beginning

"That I cannot deny. Amblethorpe is one of my favourite places to be as well as the new home of one of the Countess' closest friend. Lady Hannah would not be happy if I told her we were not coming."

Henry laughed, "Well then, it seems we will be stuck with each other."

"Is that Amblethorpe you are talking of?" Lady Enderly's sharp voice interrupted their peaceful camaraderie. He felt Rosie flinch beside him, for some reason the woman made her uncomfortable, something which aided his growing dislike of her.

"Yes," he replied shortly. "We were discussing a hunting party." He hoped that would be enough to dissuade her from further enquiry. Hunting parties did not usually include single females.

Unfortunately, she was not to be put off. "I shall enjoy visiting Amblethorpe once more. I've been there so much it is like my second home."

Henry caught the look that she shot towards his beloved and stiffened alongside her. How dare this woman behave this way. "Yes, Lord Enderly was a regular visitor," he said stiffly, feeling Rosie relax a little as he deliberately rerouted Lady Enderly's misdirection. He wished he could cut the wretched woman, but she had not done quite enough to deserve it so he held his tongue. She did not need to be told she was not invited, she would discover it herself soon enough.

He would ask Wiston how serious the flirtation was. Hopefully it had not developed into anything serious and would never do so.

"When will you be heading to Abbeyford?" Rosie imperceptibly leant into him as she addressed his friend.

"We cannot go early, much to Lady Hannah's distain," Lord John laughed. "We shall leave London at the first of the month, then onto Talston to pay regards to my parents for a week or two, then back home to Abbeyford until we come to you," he grinned. "We look forward to our invitation Duchess."

Rosie laughed lightly, "And you shall have it, but I am glad to know when you cannot attend, I would not wish to upset your dear parents."

"Are you and Lady Hannah having guests as well this year," Lady Enderly asked eagerly.

"I expect so, but we will not be writing our invitations until we are at the estate. Will you be heading up to Feldham?"

"Lord no!" the lady exclaimed, a vision of disgust upon her countenance. "I spent too many months there in mourning. It is a drab place, Mark will probably get rid of it when he is of age. I shall be glad to be shot of it."

Mark was her son, he must be around three by now but Henry had no idea where he was.

"Does he reside there now?" he asked. "Or is he in London with you?"

"Neither. I directed Nanny to take him to the coast for a few months," she said carelessly. Henry could not imagine being so with his own child. Rosie tensed beside him as she always did when the subject of children was discussed.

It was dashed unfair that someone as wonderful as Rosie could not have children, when careless women like Lady Enderly could, but neglected their God given gift. He sent up a silent plea yet again, begging for a chance for a family, but his heart was empty. He did not believe it would be so, he should give up all hope.

He felt his wife's feather-light touch as she nudged her foot to his. Seeking comfort in public without making a scene. He discretely moved his leg so it rubbed against hers as he scooped up her hand and put it firmly in the crook of his arm.

Seated or not, it was perfectly reasonable to be touching in such a way, even though a few raised eyebrows did not agree.

The evening trotted on pleasantly enough but he was glad when it was time to depart. "I have a surprise for you," he murmured once she was tucked into his arms in the carriage yawning delicately.