Ch 16 - Henry's thoughts

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

Henry watched his beloved wife entrance their guests with her exquisite playing. He could not believe his luck in his choice of wife - she was utterly perfect – and sent up a prayer of thanks to the God that contained their lives in his hands. It was something he seemed to be doing a lot of since his wedding day.

To hear her play, one would think they were listening to the angels themselves. How she had kept this a secret for so many years was astounding. But then, he thought so little of her parents that their stupidity should never surprise him.

Plots to ruin them swirled through his brain, night and day. He had begun a plan that would see them poor and disgraced and living on the hand-outs that his wife would provide. They would have to come begging to her and it would be her decision to help them or not.

He smiled, darkly amused at the thought.

Looking at her, he knew without a doubt she would help them. She was kind and generous, far more than he. Her activities the last few months had shown him nothing less. She had thrown herself into working at the poor houses and with the orphans in the orphanage so fully that it was never a surprise to see her come home muddied, hair askew and exhausted.

The first few times he had berated her for treating herself so carelessly and she smiled and nodded and then did exactly the same thing the next time she went.

He shook his head. Minx.

All the gentlemen at the club had mocked him for his choice in marrying so young but every day he revelled in how wrong they were. The younger set balked at the idea of giving up their freedom and the white haired gents playfully told him of what his days would be like once married. Full of misery and arguments. "You'll be white-haired too within the year!" they had said.

Fools, the lot of them. His wife brought nothing but good into his life. The only misery he had was discovering her past, her terrible childhood, her awful parents. The only serious argument was when he had tried to save her feelings by not bedding her when he discovered she would be unable to bear his children.

Though that blow had caused them both some misery, he meant what he told her; even knowing the truth, he would pick her again.

The maestro had been a surprise. Gio. The more he discovered of their relationship the more aware of how indebted he was to the man who had saved his wife through love and time. Showing her that she was worthy of attention and kindness.

Rosie had blossomed even more with Gio around which made him even more determined that the man would forever have a home with them. Especially considering what a thoughtful member of the house he was; never spending too much time with them or away from them.

Her delightful sense of impish humour had come out, her determination to be a good duchess was written in every action she took, her confidence growing more each day. His family had a lot to do with it as well, teaching and encouraging her at every step.

Yes he was a fortunate man indeed.

He just needed to discover why she watched him so carefully among other women. She denied it of course but it was strangely obvious. She was not being jealous, or petty. Just curious, as though there was a secret to discover.

Her piece finished to rapturous applause and she stood to curtsey with a blush and skipped back to his side once more, encouraging Lady Albright to perform with a wave of her hand. Of course his beautiful Rosie would not understand that nobody wanted to follow her performance. Her heart was too kind to see that she outstripped their own talents and that they would be embarrassed at their deficiency. Neither would she see their deficiency, she would merely accept them and praise them the way they were.