Ch 16 - Henry's thoughts

Start from the beginning

He stood as she approached and offered her a slight bow, kissing her hand before she sat. Once she was comfortable, he joined her on the sofa once more. The way they flouted convention to be with each other was still gossiped about, but he could not give a whit. She was his favourite person and would never tire of having her close. Also, he knew she felt braver and stronger when he was by her side, so until she no longer needed him, it was where he belonged.

Wiston was carelessly loafing in the back of the room, flirting with Lady Enderly. She was beautiful, he could not deny, but he still could not fathom the attraction. She was all points and angles, body, mind and soul. He much preferred the softness of Rosie. To each his own though, he would not suspend any pleasure his friend might court.

Except when he flirted with his wife, which seemed to be his favourite pastime.

Rosie softly rebuked him for getting needlessly jealous but he could not help it. She told him repeatedly that the only reason that Wiston did it was to get a rise out of him, but it seemed to matter not. His temper was not so easily assuaged.

Fortunately, his wife never flirted back, often rolling her eyes at Wiston's antics, maybe laughing at his jokes. But she never went too far. Never hurt him with her actions.

Conversation started up when nobody approached the piano.

"So Foxleigh, are you having a shooting party this year?" his friend Lord John Fordham asked.

"Yes, apparently we are overrun with birds at Amblethorpe this year," he pronounced. "Jenkins said to make sure we had plenty of guests. I believe the Duchess will be getting the invitations out this week."

Rosie was chatting with the Marchioness of Clayton but they had already discussed at length the type of entertaining they would be doing on the estate: who, when, how long. Fortunately they were of the same determination that there would be pockets of time without guests. He would prefer to not invite anybody for Rosie looked so tired. This season had taken it out of her: being newly married, dealing with jealous debutants, becoming a Duchess, taking on new roles in society, as well as her charitable endeavours.

She was exhausted but argued against his desire to be alone the entire time.

"We cannot, Henry. What would be said of us? Of Me? Plus I long to show off my new home to my friends. Your family are a must of course, as well as Lord John and Lady Hannah. We ought to invite..." and then she had reeled off a list of people he could do without.

Lord John was not one of them however. It was fortunate indeed that he was married to one of Rosie's friends, it made life more pleasant to have a man he could stand alongside some of the pompous asses he knew were married to others of her friends and acquaintances.

"You are first on the list Fordham," he assured him. "After my mother and siblings of course." And Wiston he added silently, begrudging the fact that his flirtatious friend would be with them throughout most of the country season. Maybe he could get Rosie a guard dog and train it to hate the chap.

Smiling inwardly at the thought, he turned his attention back to the conversation.

"Of course," Lord Fordham agreed. "Lady Hannah and I were saying just last eve that we were longing for the country already. The weather has become uncommonly hot and stuffy, London is practically unbearable."

"I agree. The Duchess and I will be travelling at the end of the week. I have been closing any affairs that cannot go with me and then we shall have a glorious month of freedom before becoming shackled with you lot," he jested light-heartedly.

Fordham chuckled, "Balderdash to you. Maybe we will stay away."

"We both know you speak nonsense. You would come even were I to insult you daily."