25. make good choices

After we all finished Dawson's parents went into the living room and Charlie ran off somewhere leaving me and Dawson to the dishes.

  "Here" I say handing him one of the last dishes from the table as he puts it in the dish washer.

  "How did that go" I ask leaning up against the counter as he finishes up.

  "My father was impressed" he says leaning against the counter across from me. "He's not easily impressed" I can't help but smile.

  "Cmon" he says after a moment breaking our stare. I follow him back into his room before he shuts the door.

  "Fond memories?" Dawson says watching me as I get comfortable on his bed

  "Ha" I say and embarrassment floods in quickly when suddenly my phone ring? I look down and it's my mom? Oh shit.

  "Hey" I say answering it immediately, I forgot to tell her I was staying here. Fuck.

  "Hey, what's happening are you okay?" She asks concerned

  "Oh yah, I'm fine I completely forgot to call you but I'm fine" I say and I hear her sigh of relief. "The roads have gotten really bad where I am so I think I'm gunna stay the night and come back in the morning" I say simply as though it's not a big deal, if she knew it was a boys house she probably would flip.

  Dawson then crosses the room and lays down on the bed in front of me putting his head on my lap.

  "Who's house are you staying at" mom asks now curious

  "Just a friend from rosemary's" I say hoping she will take it and not make me have to lie. I don't know what came over me but I place my hand on Dawson's head and start running my hands through his hair and after a moment I watch as he closes his eyes.

  "What's their name?" She asks and my stomach twists. Fuck. I hate lying to her especially. I don't even know how she would respond. Fuck.

  "Uhm" I start and just suddenly say it. "Dawson Adams" Dawson's eyes shoot open and he has a confused look on his face.

  "A boy?" Mom says shocked. "You are staying at a boys house?"

  "Yeah, he's just a friend" I say

  "I want to speak to him" she says and Dawson grins.

  "Mom" I say embarrassed

  "No, let me talk to him" she says more demandingly

  "Alright" I say before reluctantly handing Dawson the phone and he puts it on speaker and lays it on his chest.

  "Hello" Dawson says looking up into my eyes as fear washes over me. Oh god what is she gunna say.

  "Hello Dawson?" She asks

  "Yeah this is him" he says grinning before suddenly reaching up and tucking a lose section of hair behind my ear.

  "Dawson this is Mary's mom, I understand that the roads are bad and she has to stay at your house is that correct?" She asks and Dawson smiles.

  "Yeah that's correct"

"Dawson I'm sure you are a fine young man but I'm no idiot and I know what goes through a young teenage boys mind, I need you to promise me your going to have a very PG night, are you listening?" She says and my cheeks go bright red I'm so embarrassed.

  "Yes ma'am" Dawson says before reaching his hand up and cupping my jaw before slowly lowering my head down to his. What is happening? oh god. Suddenly Dawson starts to kiss me and I find myself kissing him back. It's been so long since I've kissed him and even a couple days ago I would've protested this but I just can't anymore, I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't want it. After everything we have went through in the last 72 hours, I don't even care anymore.

"That means no sex, no hickies, no touching, no kissing and the clothes stay on" she says and Dawson's grins so hard and I pull away desperately trying not to laugh.

  "You got it" he says keeping his cool.

  "I mean it young man" she says and Dawson holds himself back from laughing.

  "No I understand" he says grinning.

  "Good, I want to speak to my daughter now" she says.

  "Hi mom" I say not looking at Dawson so I won't laugh.

  "You don't do anything with that boy you hear me? I'm sure he's cute and a dreamboat guy but you are too young to get pregnant and mess up your life"

  "Mom" I say embarrassed again. Little does she know.

  "I mean it, and for god sakes if your just going to sit here and lie to me anyways you need to promise me you will be careful and wear protection"

"Mom"

"I mean it"

  "Mom we are just friends" I say and suddenly Dawson sits up and grabs the collar of his shirt before pulling it up over his head and throwing it on the ground then laying back down, placing the phone back on his chest. I know what he's doing.

   "I'm sure you are" she says. Dawson then grabs my hand and places it on his torso as he flexes and his abs stick out more than normal. Fucking hell. I force myself to look away before my mind races and Dawson has something to listen to.

  "Mom I got to go" I say into the phone and Dawson grins so I move my hand up to his face and turn him away from me.

  "Okay sweetie don't do anything you wouldn't do in front of me and your dad" she says. "Goodbye"

  "Bye, love you" I say before quickly hanging up.

  "You are unbelievable" I say shaking my head before removing my hand from his face so he can look up at me again.

  "You know what I think we should do?" He says grinning

  "Absolutely not. Hell to the no. Your dad reads minds are you kidding me" I say in disbelief.

  "His power is different, he has to be in proximity and he can't read minds when he's sleeping either way" Dawson says

  "Your insane and you know we can't" I say

  "Why? Because I promised your mom, that just makes me want to do it more" he says sitting up.

  "No, you know why" I say looking down at my lap.

  "I'm making my choice Mary" he says before cupping my face again and pulling me in to kiss him.