Tips For Not Caring What Others Think

Now, let's get real for a moment. Everyone, at some point in their life, yearned to be validated by others and that can range from close friends to acquaintances and even total strangers. Especially with media today telling us to be likeable to everyone and let anyone but yourself judge you, it's hard to tune off that little voice in our mind yelling stuff like "What does she/he/they think about me?" and "Does this person think I'm pretty/cool/smart/skinny?" when the truth is that you can't please everyone. Feeling accepted is a universal emotion that everybody craves because it's in our blood, though it doesn't mean that it should be our top priority. But enough with the intro already, let's get into the tips to overcome it!

Who Are You? One of the keys for not always having to worry what others think about you is what you think about yourself. Everybody has their own insecurities about themselves and most of the time, they want something or someone else than their own selves to fill in that gap. Try reflecting on your self-esteem (for example, do you make certain choices to please others before yourself?) and if you find that it's even slightly low, do everything you can to get it back up. Maybe you've never even had perfect self-esteem, but that's okay. Talking to trusted people (or even a psychologist on extreme cases) can really help.

What Is Your Mindset? I think we would all like that our lives can be aesthetic like that perfect insta post or as dramatic as Keeping Up With The Kardashians, but reality is: life is not always gonna be perfect and not everyone can think that you are, no matter how bad you want it to be true. You don't have to have that perfect body/personality/house/phone/profile to be loved and admired. But we as humans tend to distort the truth, jump to conclusions and harm ourselves with our poisonous thoughts. Questioning your thoughts instead of just giving into them can open a window into your conscience and tuning out all the negative or insecure ways of thinking can make some of your deep insecurities vanish. (Note: Having great self-esteem is amazing, but be careful to not be egoistic or narcissistic.) Plus, keep in mind that if you come across an acquaintance and you start to worry about what they think about you, they're probably thinking the same.

I hope this short post helped some you gorgeous girls since I know this is something most of us struggle with and that the origin of this feeling doesn't have to be rational like being abused when we were younger or knowing that we are pressured by culture to feel this way. I personally still have a hard time to ignore the negative comments of people I don't know or know a little, but together we can achieve the impossible. I encourage you all to keep your heads up high and just own it all. Keep shining!

- MaeShaanaP