Dinner and Dancing

River and the Doctor had been standing by the rail in silence for several minutes, watching as the sun slowly crept towards the horizon and listening to the haunting melody drifting through the air. His arms were wrapped tightly around her middle and her back was pressed against his chest. Her own arms were crossed over his, keeping him there.

This Doctor felt slightly different than the last. They were about the same height, but he was a bit thinner than he had been. He had more angles now, but she still fit comfortably in his arms. And when he had kissed her, his lips had felt thinner as well. His smell was different too. Bowtie had smelled like metal and freshly cut grass and jammy dodgers. Now the Doctor smelled like coffee and leather and old books. But one thing was the same. The smell of Time still clung to him as it always had and it was enough to make all the new smells and feelings seem old and familiar. Standing there in his arms, River felt safer and more secure than she had in many years.

"Darling, why don't we get something to eat?" she murmured.

The Doctor hummed softly but made no effort to move for several minutes. She didn't bother repeating herself. Eventually, his grip on her loosened and he pulled away. She missed his warmth immediately.

They made their way to the small table on the balcony. The Doctor pulled out the chair facing the towers and motioned for her to sit. He gently pushed her chair in once she had before taking the seat facing her.

"Now you can't see the towers," she pointed out.

"I already know what they look like," he said. "Besides, I've got something better to look at."

River flushed slightly, lowering her gaze to her plate. The Doctor smiled, hesitantly placing a hand on hers where it was resting on the table. She looked up and smiled back at him.

"How did you get this table?" she asked.

"I made reservations four years ago."

River's soft laughter rang through the air, pulling another smile to the Doctor's lips. He had been so certain he would never see his wife again yet here she was, sitting across from him, a radiant smile lighting up her face.

"Do they know you took a shortcut?"

He chuckled. "I doubt it."

Just then, a waiter appeared with the first course. He set the plates on the table and lit the candles.

"I took the liberty of ordering our food," the Doctor explained when the young man had left. "I'm not ready to share you yet."

"Well, it looks delicious," she said, picking up her napkin and spreading it across her lap.

They began eating in silence, simply enjoying each other's presence. Eventually, River looked at her husband and frowned.

"Sweetie, do you know what happened to the diamond? I didn't have it when I woke up."

The Doctor looked embarrassed. "I may have given it to someone."

He glanced up to find her glaring at her.

"Darling, it wasn't yours to give away," she said icily.

"It wasn't yours to sell either," he pointed out. "Besides, it went to a good cause."

"What cause?"

He grinned and gestured around them. She let out a soft gasp.

"This place didn't exist when we crashed here. I gave the diamond to a young man and told him to build a restaurant."

River looked around them, taking in the building around her for the first time. She had heard so many stories about the Singing Towers of Darillium and the restaurant overlooking it. It was described by many people as the best restaurant in the universe and she knew that their table was the most sought after table ever. The descriptions and pictures did nothing to prepare a person for the actual sight.