Chapter 5 - Aashi

She couldn't take the anticipation anymore! She had waited until midnight and he was still not home. She had called and texted endlessly but to no avail - what had she expected anyway? He never replied to her calls! Where was he? She was becoming increasingly paranoid - was he with someone? No, he couldn't be right? She shook her head and tried to take her mind off him. Maybe a call to Divya would distract her.

"Aashhhh what are you doing up so late?" Her friends enthusiastic voice cheered her up immediately.

"Di, I cant sleep!" Aashi whined.

"What's happening?" Her concern was palpable.

Aashi spilled her emotions to her best friend who comforted her. They had been friends since high school and had always been inseparable. Divya was Aashi's bridesmaid and Aashi was Divya's baby's godmother. Aashi loved that little girl so much - she got to live out her motherly fantasies through her. Unfortunately Aashi and Arjun had not been blessed with a child of their own and often Aashi obsessed about this. Perhaps if they had a child, Arjun wouldn't be so distant?

"Aash try to sleep, he will be back soon. I know he cares for you and wouldn't do anything rash" Divya tried to sooth her friends aching heart but knew words weren't enough to comfort her. She needed Arjun to come and home and to talk to her.

"Thanks, I'll try Di. Give kisses to Rhea for me"

Aashi hung up and resigned herself into going to bed. Just as she stood up to head upstairs, her mobile rang and Arjun's name flashed across the screen. In her haste to answer the phone she almost dropped it.

"Arjun?" Her heart was pounding uncontrollably.

"Hi Aaaashhiii, I called to tellll youuuuu to sleep andddd not wait up fooooorrr me" his words slurred as if he were drunk. Aashi's heart dropped.

"Come home Arjun, this isn't safe"

"Noooo nothinggg is unsafeee about anythinggg" he wasn't making much sense.

"Tell me where you are and I'll come and get you" Aashi demanded picking up her car keys from the counter.

"Arjun come on have your whisky" a woman's voice came across the phone.

"Hello?" Aashi felt panic rising in her chest. Who was that? What was he doing with this other woman?

Suddenly the line cut out. "Hello? Hello!?" Aashi tried to call Arjun back but it went straight to voice mail.

"Argh!!!" She threw her mobile at the sofa and started pacing back and forth. She felt physically  sick and angry. What was going on?